Porter yeast please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heyy I'm about to brew my very 1st porter today. I have brewed around 25 batches of pale ales and iPa's but I have never brewed a porter. What's a good yeast to use on a porter?

I make my porters using WY1056 which is the same as WL001 or SO-5, basically just a clean fermenting american ale yeast. Porters derive their flavor form the grist more so than the yeast.

Unless you are doing something specific like Fuller's London Porter clone or a baltic porter, use whatever yeast you've been using for your pale ales and ipa's. Its better to go with a yeast you know works well with your setup then trying to find the perfect yeast.

+1 on Safale 05. Very versatile work horse. Wouldn't recommend Windsor if you're doing a porter with an OG ~1.070. Seems to take off quickly and chugs steadily for a couple days before virtually quitting. Have experienced higher FG with Windsor - 1.030 or so.

Well, I'll confuse you and give you a different opinion than the others have so far. I used Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale in my Porter and loved the way it turned out.

Now, if you are looking to keep your brewing streamlined and cheap, and you use yeast you've washed from other batches, and you don't want to spend the money on a smack pack of yeast, then go ahead with whatever clean yeast you use for your pale ales and IPAs. I really like a good english yeast, though. So I have used this yeast in a few batches and have 2 jars of it in the fridge for more batches to come.

I guess it depends whether you're looking for an English or US interpretation. In either case, you have some good suggestions above. Use what you know best. If you're looking for something different, though, I'll throw out 1728 and 1028 as great choices.

i use either s05 or 1968 for porter, for exactly the reasons above. clean, well attenuated, takes longer to make = s05, "english", quick, bit fruity = 1968. i ferment towards the low end of the normal range for both of these (17c/19c respectively). diacetyl rest for 1968.

I've used and liked 1968 before, but not in a Porter. I'm sure it would be a good one, though.

Back