Porter - Yeast In Suspension

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughster

Reaction score
I followed the 7 day primary - about 7 days in secondary before fermentation stabilized. I then was waiting for the yeast to drop but it didn't for the next three days. For a Porter, should I wait longer, add some clarifiers, or just transfer to the keg?

Thoughts appreciated!

A seven-day primary is awfully short for almost any kind of beer. That's probably the cause for the delayed clarification. Give it another week, then fine it if needed.

A seven-day primary is awfully short for almost any kind of beer. That's probably the cause for the delayed clarification. Give it another week, then fine it if needed.

Sounds like he's already been fermenting for 14 days, which is more than enough for a porter.

It'll clear fast if you can get it cold. If you can't, you'll just have to wait for gravity to do the job.

Don't know what yeast you used, but english yeasts are good flocculators normally, which helps them drop fast. Next time you do a porter, try S-04 or Nottingham or Wyeast 1028 English ale or similar (assuming you didn't use one of those).

Latest posts

Back