Porter OG 1.050 FG 1.018, Wyeast 1028

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
It tastes good, but I expected and want higher attenuation. Mashed at 158, grain bill included brown, black, British crystal malts. 1 liter starter from new Wyeast smack pack (I didn't didn't record the manufacture date, but it wasn't more than a month or two old and the starter appeared healthy), fermentation started within 12 hours, aggressive for 2 days then slowed. Brewed 11-30, so a little over 3 weeks ago, gravity today is about 1.017 at 70F. Fermented in fridge at 66-67 for a week, then at 68-70 for the rest of the time.

Should be down to 1.013 at least, no?

Could it be the new yeast, 1st generation? Could mash temp of 158 be high enough to leave unfermentable sugars to keep it at 1.018?

I swirled the carboy, plan to bottle this weekend, but the high gravity is bugging me. What do you think?

I would seek for reason in mash temperature, 158 is on upper edge so 1.018 (with that in mind) doesn't seems that high.

If nothing went wrong, it sort of has to be 'done', right?

I did mash high, don't want it dry, and 3/11 lbs are dark malt - brown and black having gravity points of only 25 available, crystal is 34.

I of course don't want bottle bombs, and I want to be certain it is done, but also very important to me, I want to understand better where I can expect a beer to finish.

Are you using any software for recipe design.. BeerSmith adjusts FG depending on temperature.

Back