Portable CO2 keg charger - can I use a bike tire inflator I already have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
So I ride bikes, and have several CO2 inflators that fit over a shrader valve to inflate a bike tire. I'm wondering if these CO2 chargers they sell in homebrew shops have the same size and thread fittings that the bike inflators do, or if the homebrew style inflators have some sort of adapter that's different from a bike/car type valve stem. Can anyone confirm? I just don't want to buy one for 20 or 30 bucks if I've already got one that will work. But my current corny keg taps don't have threaded fittings to just check it myself unfortunately. I'll have to pick one of those taps up later.

Not sure but wanted to give u props on trying to use something u already have. That's the spirit of homebrewing.

Thanks man. Honestly the time that I've wasted researching this would probably have been better spent going down to the homebrew shop and buying one that works, LOL. But I'm determined to buy the correct adapter because it's the simplest tool for the job and I hate buying things if I've got something I can make work! Funny that I don't hesitate to brew 50 bucks worth of beer but don't want to pay 20 dollars for a CO2 charger :D

Back