Poor Man's Dual Keg 'Tower' Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjwor

Reaction score
This is a build that doesn't suit everyone's needs, but it seems to be perfect for me at the current time.

I have a mini-fridge from college that I have bent the freezer portion down in order to allow 2 corneys to fit in.

I don't want to spend the money for a dual tap tower as my money is going into more fermenters and ingredients. I have only keged 1 batch to date, and don't plan to bottle a full batch ever again!

The keging kit I ordered came with two ball locks, CO2 tank, and two picnic taps. The one beer I have had on tap I left everything hooked up the entire time the keg was in, I had one incident where I accidentally squeezed the tap between the keg and a line letting about a cup of beer pour into the bottom of my fridge, luckily I saw it flowing and stopped it. There was one other time where the tap didn't want to turn off completely, luckily I just opened and closed it a few times and it sealed up.

In the time I had the keg flowing I was getting tired of opening and closing the fridge every time I wanted a beer. I use a ratchet strap on the door to hold it closed a bit tighter because with the door trim removed there are small gaps in the seal around the outside of the door. Undoing the strap and redoing the strap was getting annoying.

I decided make the equipment I have work in the most convenient way possible, as well as have the opportunity to adjust this to a true tower tap in the future. I drilled holes for the keg lines to run through the top of the fridge where the tower will go in the future, allowing the picnic taps to be accessed without opening the door to the fridge. CO2 lines were run through the side of the fridge where it is most convenient for me to adjust the levels on the kegs as well as allow room to tap the kegs outside of the fridge to make tings a little easier on myself.

Here are some pictures of the final product!

P1180218_zps6e3fd6cf.jpg

P1180225_zps46665555.jpg

P1180221_zpsb0edd85a.jpg

P1180233_zpsb50c11c3.jpg

I put the CO2 lines up high to try to make it easier to connect the lines, as well as keep them up above the coolest air in the fridge. The clearances are fairly tight on both the CO2 lines and the Tap lines. The bulge where the tap connects to the line makes a fairly snug fit when pushed all the way down, but allows for the line to be pulled up to pour a beer, the CO2 lines shouldn't allow much if any cool air to escape out the side.

Are there any areas of concern that you guys have about this setup? I'm not sure how long I will leave it set up as is, but it probably depends on how well it works!

Latest posts

Back