Poor head retension

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosvineer

Reaction score
Is it common for HLME's to produce beers with poor head retention? My first batch tastes good and is carbed but won't hold head.

I added 2.5lbs of corn sugar to the boil. I did not plan on adding it all, I made a mistake.

The time that the beer has been bottled makes a difference in how well a beer holds its head as does the cleanliness of the glassware. Any trace of soap will kill the head whether it was in the bottles or in the glass. So will the stuff you add to the dishwasher to keep from getting water spots on the glass.

What the hell is HLME's?

I added 2.5lbs of corn sugar to the boil. I did not plan on adding it all, I made a mistake.

Sugar in the boil has been consumed by the yeast. Did you add any sugar to the bottling bucket? If so, how much? You should be aiming for about 1oz per gallon.

Almost 5 weeks in the bottle at 70* and freshly rinsed clean glass

Prehopped LME. I added 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in water to the bottling bucket. The beer is carbed the head just doesn't stick around long

Latest posts

Back