Polarware 15 gallon Mash Tun Help Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodduley

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently ran across a Polarware 15 gallon pot with a false bottom for sale locally. I noticed that the false bottom sits about 2’’ off the bottom of the pot which would create some significant dead space. I also noticed that there is no diptube (the FB sits above the bottom outlet) which means the flow will be drawn through the side of the pot where the ball valve is located NOT from the center. Does this have any effect on your efficiency? In other words would the flow /draw be unbalanced and possibly cause some sort of channeling? Also with the height of the FB it pretty much makes it a 13 gallon Mashtun. Would I be better off going with a converted keg for the extra size? My system will be HERMS so is there any concern about the dead space since I’ll be recirculating anyway? Any guidance is much appreciated.

according to this thread over on NB forum, all you need is a 1/2" OD soft copper tubing

boom! no deadspace, as long as the output of the tube attached to your ball valve is below the bottom of the kettle.

the problem comes when you calculate strike water & your water:grain ratio, you do have to account for the space below the false bottom.

Is the fitting near the bottom of the pot welded or weldless? If weldless, you could easily add a dip tube which would help get the most from the bottom of the tun. Even if welded, as long as you can get something to screw in from the inside, a dip tube could be added.

I'm assuming that the legs of the false bottom are really long, in order for it to rest above the valve opening. Perhaps the legs could be shortened and then a hole to be cut in order for the dip tube to go through it, and that would give you some more mashing space.

Man...you guys are quick with the replies! GrogNerd, nice call on the link from NB. Also LandoLincoln the couplings are welded in but I just dont know if there are threads on the inside of the pot. I'll have to verify. Thanks again for the input.

Back