Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir_niveda

Reaction score
Hello all,
So a few months ago I brewed a PtE Clone à la more beer's website. It turned out excellent.

So now I'd like to brew it again, but since I now have the recipe I'm going to get the ingredients from my organic lhbs. The recipe calls for a late addition of corn sugar in the boil. So my question is, if I were to replace the corn sugar with dme/lme would it result in a significant change in my OG? Which would you choose between dme and lme? Or do you think I should stick with corn sugar like the recipe states, and keep it as close to the real thing as possible?

Thanks in advance!
:mug:

Hello all,
So a few months ago I brewed a PtE Clone à la more beer's website. It turned out excellent.

So now I'd like to brew it again, but since I now have the recipe I'm going to get the ingredients from my organic lhbs. The recipe calls for a late addition of corn sugar in the boil. So my question is, if I were to replace the corn sugar with dme/lme would it result in a significant change in my OG? Which would you choose between dme and lme? Or do you think I should stick with corn sugar like the recipe states, and keep it as close to the real thing as possible?

Thanks in advance!
:mug:

You can choose what you prefer to do. The difference between corn sugar and extract is that extract contains some non-fermentable sugars, which will increase body and sweetness some, while dextrose/corn sugar is pretty much fully fermentable, leading to a drier final beer. Since Pliny is a DIPA, you likely want to dry it out a little to let the hops really shine, which makes corn sugar a better choice (same reason RR uses it). However, if you want a maltier beer that is still very similar to Pliny, you can use some extract. Just use a calculator to determine how much extract to use to get the same number of gravity points as you would with the corn sugar.

EDIT: To clarify, the non-fermentable sugars are not the ONLY difference between extract and corn sugar. There's also the flavor imparted by malt extract, versus essentially no flavor from corn sugar. But for your case, the difference in body/sweetness is more significant.

Awesome thank you for clarifying the differences in the two. I think I'll stick with the corn sugar as like you said, the beer is all about the hops, which makes sense since the grain bill is pretty basic. Thank you!

Back