Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine bottled tonight. Total of 15 days dry hopped. First 7 1 oz each. The. Last 8 another 1 oz each. Huge amount of hops left over so only got 4+ gal. Ugh.

image-1702881057.jpg

image-3475048519.jpg

image-476452724.jpg

Looks like you are really oxygenating that beer while transferring it, based on the foam and and how high the hose is above the level of the beer. Unless maybe you purged the bucket with CO2 first... of course you'll probably drink it before you'd notice anything off :mug:

Using whole hops for dry hopping sucks up quite a bit more beer than using pellet hops...

Alot is starsan foam from pourin andout of bucket. Yeah this was first time dry hopping. Next ill do it different! For sure.

So I brewed this last weekend, and brew day went relatively well. Undershot my OG a little, was aiming for 1.074 and came in at 1.069. I just transferred to secondary tonight, and my finish gravity came in at 1.007, which would be like 90% attenuation.

Does that seem unrealistic to anyone else? Not that I am complaining about it, it just seems unlikely that my yeasties were that effective. I used wyeast 1056 American ale, and I could not keep fermentation under 70 degrees. Spent most of the time at 72.

Also, I split the batch into 2 carboys because I didn't want a blowout with a 6 gallon batch. One pack per about 3 gallons.

I brewed Pliny this weekend as well and will rack to a secondary for dry hopping this coming weekend. I used some washed 05 and haven't checked my gravity yet but will when I transfer. 90% seems too good to be true. I've not used corn sugar in a beer in a long while so I'm wondering what that will do.
My expected OG was 1.072 and I hit 1.075 and will be happy if I get down to 1.020.

My expected OG was 1.072 and I hit 1.075 and will be happy if I get down to 1.020.

My OG was at 1.080 and it fermented down to 1.011 with SafAle S-05. I added a pound and a half of corn sugar, I think...need to check my brew log. Anyhow, it turned out great and I think it is really close to the real deal. Cheers!

My OG was at 1.080 and it fermented down to 1.011 with SafAle S-05. I added a pound and a half of corn sugar, I think...need to check my brew log. Anyhow, it turned out great and I think it is really close to the real deal. Cheers!

Glad to hear. A friend sent me a very similar recipe and it was the best homebrewed beer I've ever tasted!
I've got 13 oz of corn sugar for 6 gallons which was an once more than called for but I know others have added a bit more.
Just curious, did you do a 12 and 5 day dry hop schedule or all at once? I'm seeing that many did a single dry hop but I'm planning on 2.

Here are my notes from mine I did... now I did use MO as base and did 1.25 lbs of sugar (only have 5 gal MT)

Brewed 08/03/13
Yeast pitched at 10pm at 50-55 degrees
4 hrs in freezer
1.054 per boil
1.075 OG
6 gal to ferm. 5.25 after racked to main ferm.

1.046 on 8/6 @ 7pm
Internal temp 65-66
Water temp 64-65

1.016-7 on 8/10 @ 11 am
Internal temp 65

1.011-12 on 8/10 @ 8pm

Dry hopped 1 oz. simcoe Columbus leaf centennial pellet. x2 (14 day, 8 day)

Bottled 8/26/13 @ 9pm

Got about 4.2 gal bottled. Heavy evergreen/citrus/hop flavor/aroma. Taste of remaining beer in bucket was bitter/hoppy and a slight taste of pine cone (like eating a hop). Could be due to the amount of hops in the sample (hop matter etc).

Bottled at about 4.6 oz sugar (in measuring) lost a little in pouring sugar etc. Probably too high of carb for style as it will be near 2.8-9. Mostly due to miscalculation of volume to bottle.

My local home brew shop only sells the hops in 1oz increments. The last set of dry hops for the recipe is .25 oz of each. What did you guys do with the remaining .75oz of the hops? Should I just throw them in there with it or try to save them somehow for a future batch?

keezerj said:
My local home brew shop only sells the hops in 1oz increments. The last set of dry hops for the recipe is .25 oz of each. What did you guys do with the remaining .75oz of the hops? Should I just throw them in there with it or try to save them somehow for a future batch?

Totally the same here, I am planning to use one ounce each at two separate additions. I know it says .25 ounce, but this recipe is the epitome of more is better, so why not?

I just weighed them and then put the remaining .75 oz in a ziplock bag and put them back in the freezer.

Glad to hear. A friend sent me a very similar recipe and it was the best homebrewed beer I've ever tasted!
I've got 13 oz of corn sugar for 6 gallons which was an once more than called for but I know others have added a bit more.
Just curious, did you do a 12 and 5 day dry hop schedule or all at once? I'm seeing that many did a single dry hop but I'm planning on 2.

:eek::smack: Well, I have a confession to make...I am a lazy homebrewer. I did the first addition, the larger one in keg. I have not removed it and did not do the smaller addition yet. I "plan" to, but who knows. I did 11G so I have two kegs worth of hoppy goodness and to tell you the truth, I don't see the second addition adding much as the recipe I used did about 7 oz on the first addition and 3 on the second. It had great aroma, taste, and is heavily bittered. Since it is in the keg and I have those stainless steel keg hoppers, I can easily add and remove. So far the first dry hops has been in keg for about 2 weeks. I may get motivated tonight to weigh hops and replace. Cheers and best of luck with your edition of this!!

Well I actually couldn't wait and I opened a bottle that I had bottled on Tuesday... granted it wasn't fully carbed but man... it was good!!! I just had a sip and put it back in the bottle and recapped (I do this quite often with brews to make sure they are carbing and to get an idea of where they are... ) Going to be a good one!!!

I enjoyed 5 bottles of mine that I bottled 10 days ago during the Michigan game yesterday. Hands down the best IPA I've brewed to date!

Brewing batch #2 today! :mug:

Holy crap! Five bottles? That is some potent barley juice! I would not have made it to half time with 5 in me...okay, maybe...if it was a good game. Grin! I really love this beer and the clone is awesome. My top 3 homebrews are PtE, Zombie Dust, & Double Jack. Always have 2-3 of them on tap. Cheers!

I've never had the real thang. That's impressive especially for a ScUM fan! Go Irish!

I've never had the real thing either, but my clone is better than most of the west coast IPA's I've tried.

Oh and sok, To hell with Notre Dame! You're Irish are going down this weekend! ;)

Holy crap! Five bottles? That is some potent barley juice! I would not have made it to half time with 5 in me...okay, maybe...if it was a good game. Grin! I really love this beer and the clone is awesome. My top 3 homebrews are PtE, Zombie Dust, & Double Jack. Always have 2-3 of them on tap. Cheers!

I spaced them out over the entire game, not the first quarter... :tank: ;)

Brewed this today, no real surprises other than the insane amount of hop trub I had to filter out. I pour through a screen from my kettle into fermenter, typically I have to clear the screen once for a normal batch of IPA. For this I had to clean it 4 times! I hit the starting gravity dead on with more volume into fermenter than anticipated. Will post back in a few weeks when its done!

Just did the first dry hop on this yesterday....commando. It's all on the top about 2" thick. From previous dry hops like this, it can take almost a week for this to settle. When I keg it, I tie a hopsack to the end of the hose to keep as much sediment out of as possible.
It smells so damn good!

Go... ScUM.... HA!

I had to use c60 as I had not 40 so mine is a bit darker than probably should be... but still... was good... definitely will have a few bottles while ND is curb stomping the wolverines...

Anyone else use hop bags to dry hop? I am wondering how the bags affect the aroma. When I dropped them in they smelled fantastic, but after 5 days when I dropped in dry hop number 2, not so much. Anyone think the bags are soaking up the oils?

What kind of bags are you using? I use muslin hop socks all the time for dry hopping. I put sanitized marbles in them to weigh them down and then tie it to the handle of the bucket with fishing line. It works fine for me every time.

Like that idea about the marbles. Next time ill definitely use a bag as I lost a lot due to the hops just being loose.

Vinnie talked about how he suggests dry hopping commando and after you've racked to a secondary to let the hops swell up and slowly sink to the bottom and go thru the beer as they sink. I've never thought about that but the times that I dry hop in a bag, I just sit them on top and let them release their goodness.

BTW, I always use pellet hops as well fwiw. I've used both in the same recipes and have not had any noticeable difference to my taste. Maybe some have more defined pallets than me, but I just think it's easier to use pellet hops. I used all pellet hops in this PTE clone and this is by far the best tasting IPA I've ever made. Can't imagine whole leaf would make it much better than it is already...

Ok, so I pigged it last night and man does it smell good. First beer I have made that actually has good hop aroma. I filled two pigs and had one glass worth left over, so I put it in the fridge to cool and try. Even with the oxidation of sitting out in the open, still had plenty of aroma. So excited! 2 weeks can't come soon enough!

Just kegged this recipe this morning. Had it chilled and tasted a sample. Boy is this going to be a good one. Thanks for all the advise from this thread.

I've never had the original either but I had to make this recipe from all the hype I here jamil and company talking about it on the brew strong podcast and such. I had to compare it to one of my local favorites jai Alai from cigar city. Can't wait for this to carb up

Just curious, per the instructions, you put the dextrose in at the start of the boil. Is there any benefit to doing this, vs the last 5 minutes of the boil?

I don't think it makes any difference. You will boil off any bacteria if you put it in pre boil, but I think that is a minor concern.

Bacteria need water to live. There is little to no water in sugar, etc. Honey, for instance, is less that 17% water and lasts forever because there is not enough water for bacteria to take a hold of. I would worry very little about bacteria and sugar!

Cracked open my fermenter after 10 days to measure and dryhop - finished at 1.011 and tastes GREAT! 3oz of dryhops went in (and all sank, not sure if that's good or bad??? Does it really matter?)

Back