Pliny inspired hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajabrewer7

Reaction score
Hey you guys, I'm brewing a pliny inspired IIPA this weekend using the wealth of recipes for something silimar, grain bill is pretty basic with 12lbs of 2 row, some sugar, some cara 40 and some wheat. I do however want to dry hop it 4 times alla PtY, what do you think of my hop schedule?

iHuA1.jpg

To those who've brewed something similar, do you think I should make any adjustments?

I think you need more bittering hops. To me when you are dealing with this many hops they can add their own sweetness. Depending on the AA of your CTZ whenever I do this recipe I usually end up adding at least 3 oz for the bittering addition. I also usually followed that recipe and only use a small portion of hops for the keg hops (no more then say an ounce). I don't know if having 3 ounces of hops in the keg for a while might make it grassy quicker maybe someone else can comment on that.

According to Northernbrewer each ml of hopshot = 10 IBU's, I'm adding a total of 20 ml :/

the keg hops will be added 3 days before serving, it's for an event I'm having so it'll run out before it can become grassy I think.

I'm still curious about the purpose of the staggered dry-hop. Not discouraging by any means, Im just not quite sure I get why its better to dry-hop 4 times as opposed to one or two big charges. Do you have experience trying both or are you just following a recipe suggestion?

This will be the first time I do this, Vinnie Cilurzo has said this is the way they dry hop Pliny the Younger. It will be an expensive first time experiment I'll tell you that.

I think you need more bittering hops. To me when you are dealing with this many hops they can add their own sweetness. Depending on the AA of your CTZ whenever I do this recipe I usually end up adding at least 3 oz for the bittering addition. I also usually followed that recipe and only use a small portion of hops for the keg hops (no more then say an ounce). I don't know if having 3 ounces of hops in the keg for a while might make it grassy quicker maybe someone else can comment on that.

When you say that hops add their own sweetness, does this vary by strain? I'm looking at brewing a somewhat Pliny inspired IIPA this weekend, 11 oz of kettle hops and a 5 oz dry hop. My bittering addition is 2 oz of Bravo (14.2%) coming to ~77 IBUs for that alone. Should I be adding more to balance out?

I've never had PtE, but from what I've heard it's an incredibly crisp IIPA, which is exactly what I look for in the style. I've got a Hopslam in front of me right now, which is a little too much on the sweet side for me (just barely), but still an amazing IIPA nonetheless.

Sorry for the threadjack (it's my second Hopslam, I guess I have an excuse?). To contribute, I have heard that some breweries use a cooling break at 180*F for 15 minutes or so to get the most out of flameout additions. I'll definitely be trying that with my IIPA this weekend.

When you say that hops add their own sweetness, does this vary by strain? I'm looking at brewing a somewhat Pliny inspired IIPA this weekend, 11 oz of kettle hops and a 5 oz dry hop. My bittering addition is 2 oz of Bravo (14.2%) coming to ~77 IBUs for that alone. Should I be adding more to balance out?

I've never had PtE, but from what I've heard it's an incredibly crisp IIPA, which is exactly what I look for in the style. I've got a Hopslam in front of me right now, which is a little too much on the sweet side for me (just barely), but still an amazing IIPA nonetheless.

Sorry for the threadjack (it's my second Hopslam, I guess I have an excuse?). To contribute, I have heard that some breweries use a cooling break at 180*F for 15 minutes or so to get the most out of flameout additions. I'll definitely be trying that with my IIPA this weekend.

Well yes in part it does depend on the strain. The citrusy American hops do add a bit of sweetness especially if used in very large quantities. It sounds like you should be ok I usually aim for around 80-100 IBUs in my IIPAs. If your water is on the soft side adding some sulfates will accentuate the bitterness.

Back