Pliny in San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
Headed to San Diego next week and I've looked through all the "breweries to go to" threads so I have plenty to check out.

I'm wondering if someone local might know if it is possible to get Pliny anywhere in the area???

when I went last year around this time, I never found any.
But to be fair, there are so so so many great breweries i nthe area anyway. You won't even notice.
Depending obviously where your accommodation is, there are plenty of craft bars, which may possibly have it on tap.

If you can get out there, I highly recommend Societe Brewing. Great looking Tap room, and Food trucks most days. (Council is a short walk from there - for some tasty funk)

Oh, and don't forget Stone.

I was in SD last June, and it was in several places. One place, in North Park, right off of 30th, but the name escapes me. I think Hamilton's?

The had it at O'briens Pub, and I think it's a staple there.

You can also hit up keg and bottle the one on El Cajon Blvd usually has it and also the one on avocado in la Mesa you just have to ask for it at the counter and they will run to the back and grab a bottle.

Good luck finding it. Alesmith and Societe and Pizza Port etc are good too!

Most places I've seen to get Pliny receive a limited stock and you usually have to ask for it as they don't stock it on the shelves. The only place I've ever seen it on tap is at Russian River. But maybe they distribute a little more down there as the brewery is fairly accessible if you're in the Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Sacramento triangle.

I was in SD last June, and it was in several places. One place, in North Park, right off of 30th, but the name escapes me. I think Hamilton's?

The had it at O'briens Pub, and I think it's a staple there.

O'Briens has is on tap now.

Also - Pliny is overrated.

I've lived in the Bay Area for about 4-5 years now and I've lived in both the northern part of the East Bay, the southern part of the East Bay, and the South Bay.

What I've found here is that you don't find Russian River products much in the South Bay or the southern part of the East Bay, but that I have found it at quite a few places in the northern part of the East Bay. That makes sense, I guess, since those are closer to where Russian River is located.

They do ship their beers all around California, but it seems to get harder and harder to find the further away from the brewery that you get.

That said, there are a TON of great breweries in San Diego to check out. Stone, The Bruery, Pizza Port/Lost Abbey, and a bunch more that I don't feel like looking up (those are just off the top of my head).

Most places I've seen to get Pliny receive a limited stock and you usually have to ask for it as they don't stock it on the shelves. The only place I've ever seen it on tap is at Russian River. But maybe they distribute a little more down there as the brewery is fairly accessible if you're in the Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Sacramento triangle.

In Concord, there's a beer bar called The Hop Grenade that had 3 Russian River beers on tap the last time I was there: Pliny the Elder, Supplication, and... I think the third was Pliny the Younger, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Although I just checked their website now and they don't have any Russian River on tap at the minute. But I guess it changes a lot -- and Russian River goes fast. They had two or three spots just for Pliny the Elder on their thing when I was there:

http://www.thehopgrenade.com/beer/

whole foods in hilcrest gets it fairly often, tho you have to ask the cheese counter ppl for it, 2 btl limit. Hamiltons has it on tap fairly often. Pizza Port in OB has it on tap right now, as well as ALOT of other great beers. Livewire also has it on tap from time to time.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm stopping there for 2 days on the front end of my trip just to try as many breweries as possible so I know I won't be disappointed. On my last trip to San Francisco I was in line at a bottle shop to get Pliny and they sold out on the person in front of me so this is kind of a personal quest to try it now.

So is it worth it to make the trip out to the Stone location in Escondido or is the Downtown location the same?

So is it worth it to make the trip out to the Stone location in Escondido or is the Downtown location the same?

I haven't been to the downtown location, but I have been to the Escondido location, and I definitely thought it was worth it. They have a great restaurant there, an awesome beer bar, a nice garden, and if you want, you can go on the tour of their factory.

If you're not a huge Stone fan and don't plan on eating at the restaurant, then it might not be worth it, but there are also a bunch of other breweries in the vicinity, so I guess it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

I think the downtown location has the restaurant but does not have the brewery, but as I said, I haven't been there.

I haven't been to the downtown location, but I have been to the Escondido location, and I definitely thought it was worth it. They have a great restaurant there, an awesome beer bar, a nice garden, and if you want, you can go on the tour of their factory.

If you're not a huge Stone fan and don't plan on eating at the restaurant, then it might not be worth it, but there are also a bunch of other breweries in the vicinity, so I guess it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

I think the downtown location has the restaurant but does not have the brewery, but as I said, I haven't been there.

I'd suggest if you want to do the tour then heado ut there.
if not, the downtown location, would be good enough. all the main stays (Plus one or two special brews) either way you wont be disappointed. just bear in mind the distance from sandiego central city, to escondido (Especially by bus)

That said, there are a TON of great breweries in San Diego to check out. Stone, The Bruery, Pizza Port/Lost Abbey, and a bunch more that I don't feel like looking up (those are just off the top of my head).

The Bruery is in Orange County, not SD.

Places I would HIGHLY recommend are Societe, both of the Stone locations (okay all three with the airport ;>), Lost Abbey, Council, Alesmith, Alpine, and White Labs (technically not a brewery but they are a great place to visit). Pizza Port is a great place to go eat and have awesome local beers...I got Pliney and Blind Pig there last time I was there, but it was a special event. Heck, anyplace in San Diego will likely blow you away with great beers. Enjoy!!

You can find Pliney from time to time at the Best Damned Beer Store, though I would not count on it anywhere as others have said it goes quickly and usually you have to ask for it...it is rarely on the shelf.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm stopping their for 2 days on the front end of my trip just to try as many breweries as possible so I know I won't be disappointed. On my last trip to San Francisco I was in line at a bottle shop to get Pliny and they sold out on the person in front of me so this is kind of a personal quest to try it now.

It is a haul, but if you have time I would go. Both locations are great, so if you do not have time hit up the one in Liberty Station...and also hit Slater's 50/50 next door which has an equally great tap list and a great burger (half beef/half bacon!!) and the best fudge brownie ever (packed with bacon and topped with ice cream...yum!). I usually stay at one of the hotels in Liberty Station and then walk to those two...and kinda stumble back. :mug:

they had Pliny at WFM yesterday, 3 cases. not sure if they will be sold out by the time you get to town, but if you PM me, i maybe able to put some on hold for you.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm stopping there for 2 days on the front end of my trip just to try as many breweries as possible so I know I won't be disappointed. On my last trip to San Francisco I was in line at a bottle shop to get Pliny and they sold out on the person in front of me so this is kind of a personal quest to try it now.

San Diego is a very cool place to Vaca. Besides beer there is the water, with opportunities to go boating, fishing, sailing, or visit museums, like the Midway or Maritime museum. If you really really want to try as many breweries as possible you should consider staying in North County. Highway 78 is nicknamed "Hops Highway" by locals. This video is a small representative of the breweries nearby.

http://www.thehopshighway.com/video/

This pick of the map of Vista shows how densely populated this particular area is. You also have Stone Brewing just outside the map and Churchill's an awesome beer bar with over 50 beers on tap. You also have the beach option in Oceanside. It is the only blue collar beach town i know of in California. Thursday night has the best food vendor farmer's market i've been to. There are a ton of brewpubs, tap houses, gastropubs, whiskey pubs, mixed in with used car dealerships and Marine bars.

If you want to make it an all about the beer vacation I would suggest one night in Oceanside near the beach, rent a beach cruiser, then one night in the Vista, San Marcos area.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 9.24.52 AM.png

I walked into Coronado in North Park a few months ago at random and they had it on tap. If not head next door to Coin-Op and play some sweet video games.

For breweries I went to Stone in Escondido, and Pizza Port in Carlsbad and then just grabbed good beers at the bars.

Great City.

Back