Pliney the Elder - 240 IBUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
I have a PTE recipe that shows 240 IBUs in Beer Smith. My question is, is there really a difference in flavor between a beer with 100 IBUs and this one. The reason I ask is I remember reading that we can't taste much above 100.

Since this recipe has over 1 lb of hops in a 5gal batch is it a waste of hops/$$$ or ...

We have brewed it a couple times and it's fantastic. I am a bit afraid to drop the IBUs down as a test

Thanks in advance
Rick

i know that IBU formulas are estimates not actuals the formula might say 100 IBUs but if you sent it to a lab it may be around 70 or 80

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Would be interested in seeing your recipe. I just saw a video recently of John Kimmich of The Alchemist who indicated that there is a distinct limit on how much you can dry hop a beer before it stops being detectable. Sorry, he never indicate what that limit was, just that he has seen lots of clone recipes which were over the top in that respect. Now that's just one person's opinion, and it has to do specifically with dry hopping, but since his beer tastes so damn good I'm gonna just trust him on that one. So that being said, and not knowing what your dry hopping schedule is, it's certainly an area you might think about adjusting. For 5 gallons I've done anywhere for 4-8oz of dry hopping in a IIPA, but I'd say overall if you're doing over 1lb and half of it is kettle/boil additions you're probably safe pulling back and getting to where your software tells you you're closer to 100 IBU's. Would be a good experiment, don't you think? I mean, it's not like its going to turn out bad beer is it?

You are right, it is worth a try

FWIW here is the PTE recipe

13.25 lbs 2-row
9.5 oz cara-pils
9.5 oz crystal 40
12oz dextrose
2oz Columbus (60 mins)
1.75 Columbus (30 mins)
1.0 simcoe (0 mins)
1oz centennial (0 mins)
1oz Columbus (12 days)
1oz Columbus (12 days)
1oz simcoe (12 days)
.25 oz centennial (5 days)
.25 oz Columbus (5 days)
.25 simcoe (5 days)
WLP001
260 IBUs (on my iPhone -Beer Smith)
8.37% abv

It's an amazing beer for sure

I have a Pliney The Younger that is over a pound of hops which I am drinking now and it's also amazing. However a single batch costs a small fortune

Rick

I've brewed a VERY similar recipe and was also amazed at the ibu count. I am also amazed at the taste of the beer though, so I wouldn't change a thing the next time I brewed it!

Well, I'd probably buy hops online in bulk. I think I spent ~$50 on hops alone for 5 gallons :(

IBU isn't a measure of dry hop fresh flavor, just bitterness, right? Mine doesn't taste nearly as bitter as some lower ibu beers I've brewed, and I think it may be something to do with the way beersmith calculates IBU. (ie, wrong at this extreme)

That's 240 ibus? No way.

I really think calculated IBUs is meaningless. There is no way to get that many IBUs into a beer. You can send it out to get tested. I think white labs does it pretty cheap. That would be an interesting test

Well, hops contribute more than IBUs. Even if the bitterness tops out, the oils and the other flavor components don't, at least not in the same way.

I don't think thats 240ibu either. The PTE clone I have done before used 4oz of columbus at 90min. Plus I think there is some simcoe at 45 or 30 too also some centennial around there also.

While PTE calculates at something like 225+ IBUs, the real Pliny has been tested at something like 85 IBUs.

It has to do with the isomerization of hop oils, and the saturation point. It's only possible to get about 100 IBUs total in wort, no matter how many hops are used.

Still, the oils that aren't isomerized do provide flavor and aroma and really aren't "wasted", even if the IBUs don't increase.

I LOVE my PTE clone, and it's plenty bitter enough for me no matter what the actual IBUs would be if tested.

Don't worry about IBU counts in hoppy beers. Just bitter the beer with your bittering addition and use the rest of your hops for flavor.

Back