Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Bailey

Reaction score
Ok so I took 100% apple juice concentrate with only juice and vitamin c. Added about a cup of sugar and a packet of yeast, put a balloon with a pin prick in it and left it for a few days. It bubbled after a day and an they disappeared. Now I'm left with a container of slightly discolored apple juice and not sure if I can siphon and drink. Is it good? Btw I never activated the yeast by putting it in hot water for a min. It was infant dry yeast and didmt think I had to please help

Smell it. If you can smell alcohol then it's fermenting.

It only takes a couple of days to a week to ferment out since you didn't use that much sugar, but it can take about a month or more to clear. Until then it will look pretty "muddy".

How long did it bubble/keep the balloon inflated? Did it get any foam on the top of the must (juice)? By discolored, do you mean it is cloudy/turbid and a bit creamy looking? If so, this is the yeast doing its thing. Once it is finished fermenting the yeast will settle out and the cider will clear. The type of yeast you used will determine the total time required to clear. Assuming all is going to plan, it will take several weeks to be ready to drink. Once it clears take a sample to measure the specific gravity and taste the sample.

How long did it bubble/keep the balloon inflated? Did it get any foam on the top of the must (juice)? By discolored, do you mean it is cloudy/turbid and a bit creamy looking? If so, this is the yeast doing its thing. Once it is finished fermenting the yeast will settle out and the cider will clear. The type of yeast you used will determine the total time required to clear. Assuming all is going to plan, it will take several weeks to be ready to drink. Once it clears take a sample to measure the specific gravity and taste the sample.
Not really sure. I got home around 4:30 and it was bubbling and I went to bed and by the time I woke up the next day it wasnt. And yes there was foam during this period, it was like an orangish color

Back