Please Help! Rehydrated yeast too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCubed76

Reaction score
I brewed up my first lager and stupidly rehydrated 2 pks of dry yeast (Saflager W-34/70) around 99-102 degrees. I pitched it into 48 degree wort (shocked?) It's been in the fermenter at 47 degrees for 36 hours and not so much as a bubble. Did I kill the yeast? Can I save my beer? Thanks!

100F is a little high, but I would not have guessed that killed it. 47F is a little low, lower than 34/70 recommended temp, which is 53-59F. I'd let it warm up to mid 50s and see if it starts. If not, just direct pitch another 34/70 packet into wort and you'll be good to go.

Thanks, man. My wort turned out so great and it's killing me that I might have screwed this one up so bad.

I brewed up my first lager and stupidly rehydrated 2 pks of dry yeast (Saflager W-34/70) around 99-102 degrees. I pitched it into 48 degree wort (shocked?) It's been in the fermenter at 47 degrees for 36 hours and not so much as a bubble. Did I kill the yeast? Can I save my beer? Thanks!

It's possible, but 48 degrees is very cool for that yeast. Bring it up to 54 degrees. This yeast ferments clean even up to temperatures in the 60s

If you have it at 48 its going to be very slow to start

Update: I raised the temp, waited for a day, and still no bubbles in the airlock. This morning I went to pitch another pack of dry yeast and a nice bubbling krausen had formed. I put the lid back on and walked away. I'm assuming that's a good sign?

Back