Please Critique my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentesler

Reaction score
Hi, my first brew is a larger. i am still clueless about brewing. Would be good if someone could critique my first brew and suggest changes as i havent started it yet. I am sticking to extract brewing for the first time and would be good to not change the coppers kit as it is the most expensive part of the ingredients and i have already bought it.

Basically i am just going to add boiling water to the extract, with 500g brewing sugar and 1kg dried malt extract. Then cool the wort with mineral water and add WLP830 yeast. Also on the yeast packet it says to ferment at 21degrees yet from what i read a larger should ferment at around 14. Can anyone clarify fermenting temperature?

Your fermentables are fine, are you changing out the yeast? The Coopers "lager" is truly an ale that ferments out at a higher temp, around 18C. If you use the WLP830 you need to be considerably cooler. As a rule of thumb, being lower within the acceptable temp range is better unless you are brewing a saison or Belgian type ale. I'd go for a lower temp.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back