Plate chiller - why did i wait so long!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my brew buddy and I have always used a DIY 25' copper coil immersion chiller. Worked great when we were doing 5 gallon batches.

Last winter we built an E-HERMS system with 20g SS pots for 10g batches. The chiller just wasn't cutting it. Chill times were close to 1 hour, even with whirl pooling and our nice cold 40f ground water.

Time for an upgrade. We purchased this, https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/plate30.htm , from @BobbyM. Highly recommend getting anything from his site, top notch service and awesome shipping!

Chilled 11g of boiling wort to 66f in a single pass! Took over an hour off our brew day.

So my brew buddy and I have always used a DIY 25' copper coil immersion chiller. Worked great when we were doing 5 gallon batches.

Last winter we built an E-HERMS system with 20g SS pots for 10g batches. The chiller just wasn't cutting it. Chill times were close to 1 hour, even with whirl pooling and our nice cold 40f ground water.

Time for an upgrade. We purchased this, https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/plate30.htm , from @BobbyM. Highly recommend getting anything from his site, top notch service and awesome shipping!

Chilled 11g of boiling wort to 66f in a single pass! Took over an hour off our brew day.

Testify!

I love my plate chiller too. (A dudadiesel 30 plate). I'm jealous of your cold groundwater though. ~10 mins for me to cool a 5.5 gallon batch to mid 70's in summer (with a prechiller) and mid 60's in winter no prechiller.

Testify!

I love my plate chiller too. (A dudadiesel 30 plate). I'm jealous of your cold groundwater though. ~10 mins for me to cool a 5.5 gallon batch to mid 70's in summer (with a prechiller) and mid 60's in winter no prechiller.

When we first fired it up we had the cold water running full blast and had the valve on the wort pump at about 1/8-1/4 open, same flow we use for fly sparge. The wort was coming out at 48f, ended up running the valve about 1/2 open to hit 67f for pitching. :D

When we first fired it up we had the cold water running full blast and had the valve on the wort pump at about 1/8-1/4 open, same flow we use for fly sparge. The wort was coming out at 48f, ended up running the valve about 1/2 open to hit 67f for pitching. :D

Start making lagers. Problem solved:D

Back