Plasticy Odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djprogin

Reaction score
Brewed a very dark chocolatey/brown ale with anise cinnamon and nutmeg. Primary for 4 weeks Tried a bottle after conditioning for 3 or 4 weeks. The beer tastes okay but had an overpowering aroma that reminds me of plastic. Makes me not enjoy the beer very much. Any ideas? I have a case of bombers left. Keep them and hope it goes away?

This can come from some phenolic compounds, and I had a run-in with this as chlorophenols a while back. Look those up on here and you'll find all sorts of people dealing with it.

Could it also be described as hospital-y or latex-like?

Unfortunately this will not age out and could be an infection but most likely chlorine or chloramines in the water.

You can use Camden tablets in your water next time or try using R/O water or distilled water and add back in the minerals missing-search water primer in brewing science sub forum. There's a stickie:)

I used bottle spring water. Could it still be from the water?
It wasn't there when I tasted right before bottling.

yes, your beer will be safe to drink.

What strikes me most about your description of this situation is that the spices used are all very strong flavour/aroma varieties and the three mixed might well result in an overpowering aroma. Anise could, to a certain extent, be compared to a sort of plasticy smell.

I reckon just sit on the majority, conditioning, for a decent while, another few weeks to a couple of months, and then chuck a couple in the fridge for a week before drinking, then see how they've matured. The Nutmeg, anise and cinnamon might well have mellowed out/melded a bit by then.:mug:

Latest posts

Back