Plastic Water Bottles Lowes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1765

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used one of the plastic water bottles they sell at Lowes or other home improvement stores with bottled water, for a secondary fermenter? I was in Lowes the other day and they sell these around $13 full of spring water. I don't really need the water but I could use it for a brew and then have a clean bottle to use as a fermenter. Just a thought.

Last time i was in lowes and looked at the bottled water they were #1 PETE or PET, which is the same as the better bottles i believe. if they are #7 (which they used to be) i dont think you want to use them for fermenting. Not that #7 will kill you, but i think PETE/PET is what you want to use to limit O2 penetration etc

EDIT: Looks like #7 actually contains BPA, so you definitely don't want to be using #7 plastic for beer.

Thanks for your input. I actually didn't know what material they were made of. I guess if I am planning to use something other than glass I need to know what it is.

Back