plastic tubing sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
I needed to rig a blowoff tube together for a beer that had some sour dregs pitched into it. The tubing itself was the same tubing I use for transferring/bottle filling and it had gotten some of the krausen/yeast/floating junk into it while gas was trying to get out. My question is should this tube just become my "sour tube" or is it possible none of that stuff was carrying enough bacteria to contaminate the plastic?

I really don't know the answer - I don't brew sours. But I've always had a bad feeling about cleaning a blowoff tube even with a non-sour beer. Once the crud sits in the tube and dries, it seems hard to clean thoroughly. I don't use a blow-off any more - just a 7.9 gallon bucket for 5 gallons of beer. So my suggestion would be to designate it as a "sour tube" just to be safe.

I'm interested in what the sour brewers have to say.

I don't do bugs in beer, but I do use diastaticus-positive yeast strains. While I'm not particularly paranoid about such things I do use a tubing brush on my blow-offs with a modest bleach solution just on the general "always do the easy sanitation stuff" principle.

That said, it would make plenty of sense to have a separate blow-off for bugs. One step even safer than relying on sanitation alone...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back