Plastic / PVC Project Boxes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaloo

Reaction score
Hi all,

anyone ever have any trouble with the plastic boxes at Lowes.. seems they would be easy to work with .. but attaching the heat sink could be an issue... how do you overcome that?

thanks

Baloo

I've used them for SSR control boxes. I don't use the regular SSR heat sinks. I get bigger ones off of ebay, drill and tap, so I can bolt them to the outside of the box. I cut an SSR sized hole in the box and attach to the heat sink. Cutting a slit for a regular SSR heat sink is OK, but the part that goes in the slot is the hottest part. I wanted to keep all the heat on the outside.

Hi all,

anyone ever have any trouble with the plastic boxes at Lowes.. seems they would be easy to work with .. but attaching the heat sink could be an issue... how do you overcome that?

thanks

Baloo

Its what High gravity uses on all their control panels.. same cheap carlon boxes although they hide it with the sticker across the front and the high pricetag...

Its also the same boxes I used for a few panels I made including the picture panel in my avatar. Its a great low budget enclosure that easier to cut holes in. (The one pictured in my sub $300 build thread and avatar was a tight fit)

I also have the heatsinks inside with a case fan on one build and simply cut a hole in another and mounted the heatsink to the side. so Ive done it the same way as bredstik and Golfindia

I also bought mine at the home depot.

I use one and it works just fine. My heat sink is sticking out of the box as well, cutting a slit in the side of the box to slide the heat sink in was pretty simple and saved space.

Back