Plastic fermenter vs carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmedic43

Reaction score
I am a NOOB to home brewing and was just wondering y'alls thoughts on plastic fermenting buckets vs carboys. Thanks, I have learned a lot so far by looking through here.:mug:

either works well. Pros and cons to each.

One of the best beer brewers on this form uses single ferm buckets. No secondary.

For me, I am going to do keg ferms. then using CO2 tank transfer it to secondary.

Use cheap vodka or run in the air trap instead of water.

Thanks to all for the replies, its all good info and I am looking forward to diving in head first. (Although I still have y'all as my floaties) lol

Thanks to all for the replies, its all good info and I am looking forward to diving in head first. (Although I still have y'all as my floaties) lol

when i first started, i didn't clean as well as I do now.

I still haven't gotten a bad batch of beer.

You will do fine

just remember, don't stress over it. have fun!!!!

I am a newbie too and have used both buckets and just started a batch in a better bottle. I think it is worth it to use a carboy at some point so you can see what is going on during ferment, I am enjoying watching this batch.

I made a brew in 2 1 gallon DemiJohns so I could see what was going on. What I'm not looking forward to is cleaning them. At least at 1 gallon they are easily picked up and shaken violently after soaking to clean..... I hope.

I use a 6 gallon Better Bottle as my primary. A Better Bottle won't shatter and cut an artery if you drop it, and you can see the fermentation. Warning: I was mesmerized the first time I watched my wort fermenting and I couldn't look away. Who am I kidding? I still love watching it.

I have used both, moving more towards the carboy for the santized (pro) but they are awfully heavy (con). Hearin about people goin to th ER though. Hmmm i think i just might put some grip tape on there

Buckets work just fine. Over time they will stain and scratch and you will need to replace them. But they are cheep.

The choice is up to you.

I have both but mostly use the buckets. Easy to move, easy to clean. I often use some yeast from a batch so I just am able to scoop out a couple of cups.

They both work just fine and make beer.

I got a Carboy when I first started brewing and haven't used it in years. Just primary in a plastic bucket for 2 weeks or so and keg. The carboy is only really needed if you secondary since it has a more precise volume so you are able to avoid most of the headspace and oxidation issues that comes with the plastic bucket when secondarying. The only reason I can think of for a secondary is additions that don't go in the primary like cherrys or something like that.

Latest posts

Back