plastic fermenter lifespan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomwhit19

Reaction score
just curious if anyone has a recommended lifespan for plastic fermenters? i.e. the big mouth bubbler

i only ask because i read awhile back about how plastic gets scratched and flavors can get trapped or absorbed into the plastic

They're made from PET, it's pretty impervious to flavors and aromas. Whatever gets absorbed is so minimal, you'd never notice.

As long as you don't scratch them, they can last pretty much forever. Even small inner surface scratches should be cleanable and sanitizable.

I'd use a warm water soak (add a little Oxiclean) followed by a thorough wipe with a small washcloth drenched in some dissolved PBW to clean them. Then a different washcloth soaked in Starsan to sanitize.

I use these for primary and found the purple sponge is totally scratch free. I think it's a 3M product. when I first saw them I thought they would be good for my cast iron and boy was I wrong. Only use 'em on plastic, got 2 plastic big mouth when they first came out and don't have any scratches and are brightly clear. On the other hand my friend has 2 pet better bottles that are all foggy from using a carboy pressure cleaner and pbw,and he says he had contaminated beer twice and uses them only for hauling water for brewing.

My BMBs are clear as a bell and do not smell. My plastic buckets, however, have retained the (delightful) aroma of 5 years-worth of brews, regardless of thorough cleaning/sanitizing before and after each session. Probably micro-scratches or simply the micro-porosity of the material, but I'm not worried.

As for "life-span" of one or the other, I'll use them until I suspect there is evidence of a problem.

[Plastic buckets] Probably micro-scratches or simply the micro-porosity of the material, but I'm not worried.
It's just discoloring. I put them in bright sunlight for a few days, they seem to bleach up a bit. But as you said, nothing to worry about.

I still have my first bucket from 1991. Scratched to hell and permanentley smelling like ekg.

Sanitary practices I believe are most relavent in situations like this. I get paecilomyces in buckets from time to time especially in the summer. I just soak them in a stronger solution of bleach for a couple days and it seems to keep it away .

I use Better Bottles and buckets. About 7 of them of different sizes, mostly 6 gallon of the BB. I bought all of them from 2011 to 2014, none have been retired.

I soak in Oxyclean (generics). Rinse, put a dish cloth inside and swirl until I can no longer see any bits sticking to the inside, rinse some more. Dry and store. On brew day, rinse out any dust etc, add a cup or so of Starsan, swirl it. Then I let it sit for a few minutes. When ready to drain the wort into the BB, I pour the Starsan back into it's container and drain the BK.

just curious if anyone has a recommended lifespan for plastic fermenters? i.e. the big mouth bubbler

i only ask because i read awhile back about how plastic gets scratched and flavors can get trapped or absorbed into the plastic

I've got a LOT of experience with clear PET fermentors. I never got a single scratch inside them. One of my better bottles developed a crack on the bottom from usage - probably me tilting it while full. I've got six of the big mouth bubblers now.

If you clean them right after emptying, they are pretty easy to clean up with a sponge or other mildly abrasive tool. If I dry-hopped the beer and there is a tough ring of gunk, I usually just fill with oxyclean solution and let sit for a day, then sponge cleans it right up.

I expect these BMB's to last the lifetime of my brewing. Time will tell.

I use Better Bottles and buckets. About 7 of them of different sizes, mostly 6 gallon of the BB. I bought all of them from 2011 to 2014, none have been retired.

I soak in Oxyclean (generics). Rinse, put a dish cloth inside and swirl until I can no longer see any bits sticking to the inside, rinse some more. Dry and store. On brew day, rinse out any dust etc, add a cup or so of Starsan, swirl it. Then I let it sit for a few minutes. When ready to drain the wort into the BB, I pour the Starsan back into it's container and drain the BK.

After cleaning my fermentors, I add the cup of starsan, swirl, and store that way. On brewday, swirl, remove the lid, dump starsan, and add wort. I don't use any starsan on brewday at all :)

After cleaning my fermentors, I add the cup of starsan, swirl, and store that way. On brewday, swirl, remove the lid, dump starsan, and add wort. I don't use any starsan on brewday at all :)

Pretty much the same. I just do it on the next brew day, not packaging day. (or the day after - depending on how much dried up gunk!)

Better Bottles don't have a lid. And I don't have any solid bungs. So I would have to use plastic wrap and rubber bands. - too much trouble for me.....

You still use that for beer fermentations? yep. got an oatmeal stout for st pats day ready to come out of it in the next few days.

What does that look like in your bucket? Does it have a color?
Pink circles.
I don't think you ever get rid of it; although I'm the type of person that doesn't necessarily follow a close reimine whe it comes to sanitary practices.

In almost 30 years of brewing though; I can count on one hand how many infections I've had in my brews.

I think it's better after a Starsan treatment to pour it out and let them air dry.

Most compelling After a few weeks the (inside) headspace and bottom of the lid of my loosely lidded Starsan buckets develop gray/black mold dots. I reckon it's due to evaporation and re-condensation.

Now the strangest thing is, I never noticed those spots inside my glass carboys. I always leave them with a few inches of Starsan in them, and plastic wrap around the opening.

Maybe the bucket plastic is more susceptible to mold growth while PET and glass is not? Or not as visible.

I ferment in two 6 gallon BMB's and also a Spidel. I fill with PBW and let soak for a few days, then empty and fill with a few gallons of rinse water and shake. Do this about three or four times, then upside down to dry thoroughly. I don't sanitize until brew day.
None of these plastic fermenters have seen a sponge or rag.
I can count on one fist how many infections I've had.. ;)

Pink circles.
I don't think you ever get rid of it; although I'm the type of person that doesn't necessarily follow a close reimine whe it comes to sanitary practices.

In almost 30 years of brewing though; I can count on one hand how many infections I've had in my brews.
Thanks!
I think I've seen those on or near krausen rings after a few weeks when I had forgotten to clean the buckets. :tank:

Plastic drinking cups (in the bathroom) that stay damp or with small bits of water left in them also seem to develop a pink residue on the bottom after a few weeks. Wonder if that's the same strain. They get cleaned and washed much more often now.

I have used my bmb for 4 years and never had an issue. I use soft cloth and hot water with either starsan or an ounce of chlorine bleach (if cleaning is needed). I clean them the same day I bottle so when they are ready for fermentation they only need sanitizing.

No bad batches since I switched from buckets.

Better Bottles don't have a lid.

I just put the airlock and universal bung back into those after cleaning.

I think it's better after a Starsan treatment to pour it out and let them air dry.

Most compelling After a few weeks the (inside) headspace and bottom of the lid of my loosely lidded Starsan buckets develop gray/black mold dots. I reckon it's due to evaporation and re-condensation.

The only time I had anything grow inside one of my stored fermentors was once when I washed but did not add the starsan. I likely put it away with some water remaining in there, and some black mold grew. I've never had anything like that when I did the starsan swirl method (and I store them in my Florida garage, where mold grows quite well). But you know, I'm not trying to convince anybody here that one way is better than the other - it's just what has worked for me. I store my kegs the same exact way.

I had to get new buckets after about 7 years. I had two batches in a row go bad and finally realized I had used my buckets to empty out my kids’ inflatable pool and fell out of my normal routine. Haven’t had trouble before or since with similar cleaning to the aforementioned processes.

I'm still using 2 of 3 HDPE fermenters I bought 35 years ago. The bottom cracked on one of them and started a small leak out of the bottom. Never lost any beer, just left a small pool of liquid on the ground. I have beer in one of them right now.

I had a BMB last about 2 years. It developed blisters on the inside walls, and I eventually stopped trusting that they would not burst and harbor germs. I used to keep a couple of inches of mild bleach solution in the bottom of it when not in use, I think the bleach was the cause of the problem. I have 2 replacement BMBs and both are doing fine, I clean and sanitize after each use, and store dry upside down allowing to air dry.

thanks everyone, just trying to process of elimination a problem i seem to be having lately....seems like every beer comes out with the same "taste" in it and i cant pin point it, and theres no homebrewers i know in my area that i can have taste it and maybe have some input on what this "taste" is so i was figuring maybe micro scratches in my bmbs were contributing to it

... every beer comes out with the same "taste" in it and i cant pin point it...

Have you completely disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and sanitized everything? I read an account of a similar situation, and it turned out to be the drain valve in his kettle.

thanks everyone, just trying to process of elimination a problem i seem to be having lately....seems like every beer comes out with the same "taste" in it and i cant pin point it, and theres no homebrewers i know in my area that i can have taste it and maybe have some input on what this "taste" is so i was figuring maybe micro scratches in my bmbs were contributing to it

You can bottle and ship it all to me and I’ll check it for you. One bottle at a time. [emoji3]

I have been using some old Spagnol 11.2 gallon HDPE fermenters for at least 7 years and I will keep using them even after I get stainless. They have been great fermenters and clean up great. No internal scratches that I have seen and no infections in that time.

Have you completely disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and sanitized everything? I read an account of a similar situation, and it turned out to be the drain valve in his kettle.
All of this^

Inspect, clean, and sanitize every piece and every nook and cranny. Spigots on bottling buckets are notorious. But will separate after a soak in some hot water then pushed apart.

Racking canes, hoses, bottle wands, everything that touches your chilled wort or beer.

Now the strangest thing is, I never noticed those spots inside my glass carboys. I always leave them with a few inches of Starsan in them, and plastic wrap around the opening.

Maybe the bucket plastic is more susceptible to mold growth while PET and glass is not? Or not as visible.

Recently tried to store a batch of Starsan to have on hand. Just noticed black mold under the lid on my bucket as well. Probably last time I’ll do that.

Recently tried to store a batch of Starsan to have on hand. Just noticed black mold under the lid on my bucket as well. Probably last time I’ll do that.
If you sanitize the exposed walls of the headspace and the (bottom of the) lid, it takes several weeks for that mold to appear. I never push the lid shut on the Starsan storage buckets, just lay them loosely on top. I guess air gets in and allows that mold to grow (faster). Ambient temps are a factor too.

Just resanitize the headspaces and lids more frequently. I mop it around using a small washcloth.

I don't see it as a real problem, I just wash it off and resanitize. If you fill the buckets to the brim leaving no or little headspace it may not happen.

I suspect that recycling the Star-San carries some micro-debris with it. The underside of a bucket lid would seem to be the perfect environment for mold: dark and damp. I keep my Star-San in a clear 3-gal PET water bottle with a cap. Plus, I don't push it past 2-3 batches of use; it's not worth an infected brew for the cost of mixing up a new batch of sanitizer. I mix about 1.5 - 2 gal at a time and always shake it vigorously just before use so that it's as foamy as can be. Maybe the clear bottle with a narrow neck where moisture can't as easily accumulate is why I've never had an issue with mold inside the bottle.

If you sanitize the exposed walls of the headspace and the (bottom of the) lid, it takes several weeks for that mold to appear. I never push the lid shut on the Starsan storage buckets, just lay them loosely on top. I guess air gets in and allows that mold to grow (faster). Ambient temps are a factor too.

Just resanitize the headspaces and lids more frequently. I mop it around using a small washcloth.

I don't see it as a real problem, I just wash it off and resanitize. If you fill the buckets to the brim leaving no or little headspace it may not happen.

I agree. There was only mold under the lid, likely from the condensation. I’d either need to mix a much larger batch or shake the bucket periodically.

I suspect that recycling the Star-San carries some micro-debris with it. The underside of a bucket lid would seem to be the perfect environment for mold: dark and damp. I keep my Star-San in a clear 3-gal PET water bottle with a cap. Plus, I don't push it past 2-3 batches of use; it's not worth an infected brew for the cost of mixing up a new batch of sanitizer. I mix about 1.5 - 2 gal at a time and always shake it vigorously just before use so that it's as foamy as can be. Maybe the clear bottle with a narrow neck where moisture can't as easily accumulate is why I've never had an issue with mold inside the bottle.

Also agree here. I don’t recycle Star-San. Its not worth it to me. I made up this large batch to keep my spray bottle filled since I periodically use it to sanitize the inside of my kegerator as well as for brewing.

The underside of a bucket lid would seem to be the perfect environment for mold: dark and damp.
Excellent observation! That dark environment may well be key to the cause, and would explain why the mold doesn't grow in (clear) carboys, glass or PET.

Excellent observation! That dark environment may well be key to the cause, and would explain why the mold doesn't grow in (clear) carboys, glass or PET.

There is no biological advantage to the dark. But dark spaces often possess the qualities that DO encourage mold growth, mostly dampness. Correlation da, causation nyet.

Mold grew on the underside of my clear lid on my 1 gallon container. I now give the lid a wipe with a starsan soaked cloth every couple of weeks.

Mold can grow in my starsan container?!? Oh dear, something else to worry about in the middle of the night. I keep mine in a 1 gallon plastic cereal container with a dark grey lid on it. It could have mold spots on it right now I just cant see em.

...seems like every beer comes out with the same "taste" in it and i cant pin point it

Please list the different beers/styles that you’ve brewed and picked up this taste. Also, are you using same type of yeast ... maybe even re-using from batch to batch?

I use Notty mostly and mostly reuse from batch to batch. It’s generally clean but there is a taste i find common. I really don’t think it’s a bug..just something familiar in the beers.

Please list the different beers/styles that you’ve brewed and picked up this taste. Also, are you using same type of yeast ... maybe even re-using from batch to batch?

I use Notty mostly and mostly reuse from batch to batch. It’s generally clean but there is a taste i find common. I really don’t think it’s a bug..just something familiar in the beers.

most recent brew was an irish red with wlp004
winter christmas ale with american ale 1056
3 of a cream ale all with 1056 1 was harvested from a previous brew but the 2 after that were all new packs of yeast

thanks everyone, just trying to process of elimination a problem i seem to be having lately....seems like every beer comes out with the same "taste" in it and i cant pin point it [...]
What kind of water are you using for your brews?

tap water run through an rv filter, im not thinking this is the problem since other beers have come out without this issue im dealing with lately
You should definitely use 1/4 Campden tablet (or a pinch of K-Meta) per 5 gallons, in all your brewing water, carbon block filtered or not.
The carbon filter block in your RV filter may not remove all Chlorine (it needs to flow quite slowly to do that, like <1/2 gallon per minute) and definitely can't remove Chloramines if that's what your Water Co. uses. Neither 'sulfite treatment' will hurt, but will avoid chlorophenols, 100%. Drinking/brewing water from a hose is always suspect to me, never mind what kind of hose it is or how it's been handled or stored. Yuck!

How about using a bucket for getting your brewing water from a faucet (no hose), and use the 'sulfite treatment' on that? I'd start with that.

Maybe the water you use has something in it now that causes off flavors? Higher mineral content, salt (roads). Ask your Water Co. for a 'water quality' report. That's beyond the mandated poison report they send to you yearly or post online.

You could do a (small volume) test brew with distilled water as a reference, using the same (or different) equipment. See if you pick up the same off flavor. Narrow it down by eliminating variables. Make 100% sure that 'distilled' water isn't chlorinated, some apparently are. Or again, treat with a pinch of sulfite to be sure.

Back