plastic bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clear bottles? UV light will make your beer smell like skunk. That's why you see so many brown beer bottles. Also, getting a good seal with the lids can be a problem.

I have some plastic Mr beer 1L that have never gave me any sealing problems. They are brown and I agree clear will skunk the beer if not properly covered.

Brown plastic, great. Green plastic...skunks just as bad as clear.

Your brew will oxidize/age/go flat faster in a plastic bottle than glass - but, if your recipients aren't planning to age the beer for months and months, you're fine using plastic.

I have certain friends who ONLY get plastic bottles I've scrounged from the recycling. This is what happens if I give someone homebrew, and the bottle gets turned in for deposit, or worse comes back mouldy.

I also will usually bottle 2L of any big batch in a re-purposed pop bottle - great for pouring a "draft pitcher" when the Jets/Bombers are playing and the boys are over!

Good luck - it'll be a merrier Christmas for your friends getting your beer.

Back