planting date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john barnes

Reaction score
Looking to start my first hops this spring, wondering how they do with late frost are valley will get frost to late May. should I wait to plant till all danger has passed.

John B

They're temperate plants that positively benefit from a bit of frost so don't worry about it, get them in ASAP.

Do you already have rhizomes? Most of the available crop right now is pre-sale that will start shipping in March-May because it's too cold to dig right now.

Do you already have rhizomes? Most of the available crop right now is pre-sale that will start shipping in March-May because it's too cold to dig right now.
No not yet Getting rooted plants just trying to set up delivery date

I ordered rooted plants from Great Lakes Hops a few years ago and ended up planting them in late May as we can get frost until mid May where I live and so I just tend to wait until then to plant my garden, etc. Plus the soil is easier to work with for planting and adding nutrients. I was anxious and ordered the plants in April before I was really ready to plant but just put them in pots in the meantime.

My first shoots have just appeared above ground level today. The 2019 hop crop has begun! This is SF Bay Area though so very mild compared with much of the country.

Last year was my first year and as others say, I did not receive and plant the rhizomes until well into April. They grew, but were pretty weak and never flowered. I am hoping for much bigger things this year. They are certainly getting a much earlier start.

My first shoots have just appeared above ground level today. The 2019 hop crop has begun! This is SF Bay Area though so very mild compared with much of the country.

Last year was my first year and as others say, I did not receive and plant the rhizomes until well into April. They grew, but were pretty weak and never flowered. I am hoping for much bigger things this year. They are certainly getting a much earlier start.

Good to here that there are signs of spring somewhere, three feet of frost in the ground here In the northeast

Back