Plans for a DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
So, I'm planning on a DIPA @ around 10% using wyeast 1056. I made a small beer (4%) as a starter and plan to just rack the DIPA onto the yeast cake. I do 3 gallon batches.

Is there anyway to calculate the number of yeast in the yeast cake. I'm fairly certain it is enough and I'm not concerned about over pitching, I'm really just curious.

There are many ways to to estimate the cell count, but your going to want to pitch a lot for that jump. Use a yeast calc and play w the variations of cell density from 1-3, input your big gravity and volumes. You'll need a large pitch and fermentable sugars to not end up with sweet beer. It's called 1056 for a reason. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm assuming your OG is going to be around 1.088, so with that assumption, you will want to pitch ~300ml (or 1 1/4 cups) of slurry for ~300 billion cells (higher pitch rate since this is a bigger beer).

It's called 1056 for a reason. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew[/QUOTE]

I may be having a blond moment but I'm not making a connection as to the reason it's called 1056. :confused:

Repitch Rules:

Wort volume in liters x gravity in Plato=pitch volume in ml.

Ex:
5.7 g @ 1.060 =
21.57 l x 15 = 323.5ml

Ale x .75, Lager x 1.5

For a IIPA I'd just use the x1 figure

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

well, I'm happy drinking just about anything... I also don't believe in "off flavours". (yet)

I did the same as you're planning this Saturday. Brewed a 1.060 IPA with a 2L starter and 1056 pack, then two weeks later racked it and same day brewed a 1.070 IIPA (target was 1.080, but it was my first time with new mash tun so I over sparged). The IIPA got dumped right on over the cake and an ounce of dryhops. There was maybe a cup and a half or two of slurry...

Here's the blowoff tube after 3 days! She's done blurping furiously now and it back on a bubbler. That's a 1 Liter mug!

IIPA blowoff.jpeg

Back