Planning on moving to kegging. Wanting to use a cheap 2 keg keezer with picnic taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomascbucher

Reaction score
Hello all,

To this day I've brewed 5 batches of extract beer, bottling them all. I just moved into a smaller apartment, started a new job, and I'm really hoping to keep the bottles packed away from a long time...

I'm looking into a basic setup to keep costs down. On my mind I have the Midwest Supplies Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System (the one with a dual regulator) and a Black and Decker 5.0 cu. ft. chest freezer from wal-mart. For a while, I plan on using the picnic taps and want to use this freezer without building a collar for it.

Kegging Kit
Freezer

According to my measurements I received the dimensions of this equipment are as follows:

Freezer Inner:
15.25 "d
22.75"w (15.25"w at compressor)
27.25"h (18.5"h over compressor)

Ball-Lock Kegs:
8.5" Diameter
27" Tall (including fittings)

5lb Aluminum CO2 Tank:
5.25" Diameter
17.5" Tall

I mocked up some Google Sketch drawings of those dimensions plugged in and organized geometrically. I have them arranged in an Imgur album here.

Does anybody see any potential problems with this setup? Should I also plan on buying a Johnson Controls freezer temp controller? Will the picnic taps serve me for the time being?

Thanks all, I will continue reading up on the topic until I decide to make a purchase, but appreciate any and all help or info I am offered!

-Thomas

I have been kegging for about a year now & still use picnic taps, works fine. I used our second fridge, removed the bottom 2 shelves for the kegs & drilled a hole in the side for the gas. This left me with the rest of the fridge for other uses.

I would love to do something like that, but my issue is that I don't have the space for a full freezer. I probably will relocate for work in 2-5 years, making all of this more feasible.

We're running picnic taps in our chest freezer with no problem. If it wasn't for the fact that the thing is on the patio, I'd have no heartburn about keeping this as a permanent and cost-effective solution.

One thing I will suggest is that you make (or purchase, if so inclined) tap covers.

Looks good. I think most major online brew stores carry them, so just order from the same place you're getting your equipment fittings.

I'd also pop for the temperature controller unless you have another way to monitor/maintain storage temps. Maybe someone more experienced could weigh in if you want to go without the controller.

Latest posts

Back