Planning next mead/metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will again make a hopped mead dry hopping with 1/4 ounce of Tettnang hops in a one gallon jug and Lalvin 71B yeast. Makes a nice dry mead with a touch of spice and herbal flavor.
The question is for the second gallon to do the same thing with a different hop and is there a hop suggestion? That or maybe do a sweet mead and what would you recommend for a yeast for a sweet mead?

I recently made an orange blossom mead dry hopped with 2 ounces of Citra for 5 gallons. Dry hopped for 2 days after most of the signs of fermentation had finished (gravity was at 1.015 from 1.100), then let it finish to 1.002. Turned out to be one of my favor meads to date. The Citra goes well with the floral characteristics of the orange blossom honey. The aroma is very citrusy (surprise, surprise) with notes of tangerine, orange, and a little grapefruit. Plus the sweet floral scent of the honey gives the impression of a sweeter mead than the gravity would dictate. I used 15# of OB honey, two packs of 71b, spring water, and followed TONSA. Final abv is 13%

-J-

Back