Planning my first BIAB this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkevinb

Reaction score
I just bought the bag, some grain, hops and yeast at lunch. I've been doing extract plus steeping grains for about a year now, figured it was time to give this a try. I've been doing full-boil 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon kettle on a turkey fryer. Since this is my first attempt I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. Just to make sure volume/weight are not an issue at all I'm going to do a 3 gallon batch of a very simple Cascade APA I've had good luck with in the past. I upped the grain a bit since I have no idea what my efficiency will be:

6 lbs. 2-row
1/2 lb. Crystal 60
All Cascade hops

Hard to get too much simpler than that. I almost made it a SMASH, but I like the Crystal.

Anyway, I've been reading this forum for a while and I think I have a plan. Thanks for all the info. Wish me luck.

One Tip, be sure to have some gloves for handling the bag even if you have a pulley system. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZGURK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Good Luck!

!!!!!gloves.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck - sounds like a tasty simple pale ale to me. Gravity will come it 1.50ish I bet.

Did you get a chance to double-crush it? that helps a bit on the efficiency.

Just add on about 2-3 extra hours if you have not done so yet. It will help prevent rushing your precess.

LabRatBrewer - Good tip. Home Depot on my way home says they have those in stock.
EJay - Calculator says 1.060 with 75% efficiency. I'll settle for anything above 1.040. No double crush, yet. I want to get a baseline, first.
fuzzy2133 - I usually take about 3.5 hours for extract plus steeping. I know it'll be longer than that. Hopefully not 3 hours longer.:)
misterkidd - Thanks! It's good as an extract, should be better as AG, right?

LabRatBrewer - Good tip. Home Depot on my way home says they have those in stock.
EJay - Calculator says 1.060 with 75% efficiency. I'll settle for anything above 1.040. No double crush, yet. I want to get a baseline, first.
fuzzy2133 - I usually take about 3.5 hours for extract plus steeping. I know it'll be longer than that. Hopefully not 3 hours longer.:)
misterkidd - Thanks! It's good as an extract, should be better as AG, right?

I really like those gloves, they can take a lot of heat. If water gets inside when you clean them, be sure to hang them to dry. The material inside seems to like to retain the moisture.

Latest posts

Back