PLAATO Versus PicoFerm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kikcstarter has an interesting Fermentation Monitor. Here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792157374/plaato-reinventing-the-airlock?ref=nav_search

thoughts on the PLAATO versus PicoFerm?

It measures exactly the same way as a PiooFerm and considering I will get 3 for a $100 from Pico. I think this is way over priced. CO2 pressure or flow and then an algorithm. It mentions you have to input the original gravity. You are non monitoring temp to Specic gravity without contact with the wort.

There's a thread on the PLAATO over here.

I'm pretty sure both of them work much the same way - by monitoring the CO2 being offgassed by the yeast & translating that to a gauge of "fermentation completeness".

Both PLAATO and PicoFerm are cloud-based, which means that you run the risk of the cloud service dying and being left with a $100+ paperweight. This is what happened to BeerBug, and is why I'm avoiding PLAATO.

It measures exactly the same way as a PiooFerm and considering I will get 3 for a $100 from Pico. I think this is way over priced. CO2 pressure or flow and then an algorithm. It mentions you have to input the original gravity. You are non monitoring temp to Specic gravity without contact with the wort.

That is interesting. With Pico, Pciobrew should know the OG of the beer so they can track Specific Gravity without OG needing to be input.

Back