Pitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghank15

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first time posting. I brewed my first batch of beer two nights ago, and I think it went relatively well considering I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.

However, I think I may have made a pretty big mistake. After reading many of the threads on this forum, I don't feel so bad, and I am sure that this beer can be saved.

I did not properly pitch the yeast. I just poured it in, dry and not properly activated. I was using the very bad directions that came with the ingredients kit, and they did not mention doing anything to the yeast. I only figured out there may be a problem when I looked at the empty yeast bag and realized that on the back, there were directions indicating that the yeast needed to be boiled or warmed up.

I should mention that I did see a small amount of foaming at the top of the fermenter. It does appear that something is going on in there, I don't know how much.

Is this a big deal? Should I add more yeast, properly pitched this time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First things first:
Do not ever boil your yeast.
Moving on...
It does help if you rehydrate your dry yeast by adding it to a cup of 100 degree water. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, stir it up and let it sit 10 more minutes, then pitch.
Pitching dry yeast dry will work, provided it is fresh. If you are using a canned kit general consensus is to buy fresh yeast and toss the one that comes with the can.
You should see bonafide activity by now, but it could take a little more time. Wait until tomorrow and check your gravity. If it has moved from your OG, let it go another couple days and check it again. If you see the same gravity 3 days in a row it is done but let it sit a total of 3 weeks or more before you package.

No problem.

Dry yeast can be re-hydrated before pitching but you are fine pitching it directly. If you have some action going on, you are completely fine - no need to re-pitch, just sit back and wait it out. I did the exact same thing on my first batch (the only time I used dry yeast) - just sprinkled it on the wort and put the lid on.

I you choose to re-hydrate dry yeast - never ever boil your yeast. I think the instructions may have suggested adding the yeast to boiled and then cooled water to re-hydrate, but boiling your yeast will kill it.

I think you'll be fine. I've had good success with dry yeast. See what some other brewers say.

NRS

There's a pretty good chance that you'll be just fine. Any idea what type of yeast you were using? Safale-05 comes 'ready to pitch' out of the package... ie, just throw it into your wort as you did. Those that are not 'ready to pitch' from the package need (or at least benefit from) re-hydration. Re-hydrating your yeast prior to pitching basically wakes them up from a hibernation of sorts so that the little guys are ready to go to work when you pitch. If you're starting to see some foam its likely a good sign even though 2 days to get to that point is a little slow. The biggest benefit to getting your yeast ready to work before pitching is that fermentation will begin sooner and lessen the chances of bacteria staking its claim on your beer.

Since it seems like your yeast may have begun to wake up now after a couple days. I'd take a look at it again tomorrow... see if you see anymore activity (increased foam, more airlock activity, beer smells being emitted from the airlock, gravity change, ect..) if it still seems like nothing is really going on then consider repitching. Until then Relax Don't Worry, Have a Craft Brew?

Wow, I started typing that reply... walked away for 10 minutes, came back, clicked submit and 3 of you had beat me to the response. Quick bastards!

Update: I am seeing airlock activity. It appears that everything is right on schedule.

Related question: What exactly are my alternatives to dry yeast?

I am happy that I got the kit for my first brew, but for my next, I think I would rather buy some of the stuff separately and make my own(i'm that way with food too, I hate prepackaged stuff, prefer unique stuff)

I just started hydrating yeast,i want the best beer possible and if it is healthier for the yeast to hydrate it then im doing it. I made some good beers pitching dry yeast but some of my practices have changed due to even better beers now than then and im getting less off tastes or greenness also.Do what works for you.
Making your own beers is fun but stick to recipes or kits for amounts/stlyes at first until you get aquired with grains/hops/yeast.Just throwing stuff together may not be such a bad idea but its the amounts of each that really matter.Ive had a few not so great ones-mainly my first few.Starting with one grain one hop also is a good way to get to know flavors.Never had a dumpable beer yet.

Congratulations on your first brew, as others have mentioned, in addition to dry yeast you have white labs tubs of liquid yeast and wyeast smack packs. As you get more involved in the brewing and want to learn about proper pitch rate for yeast, you should go to www.mrmalty.com

Smackpacks will work. How well is the question.

I have pitched a single packet of dry yeast both dry and rehydrated. I have used smackpacks and vials straight into the wort. None of my five gallon batches seem to be finishing without some intervention.
The only batches that actually finished strong using a 'standard' amount of yeast (1 packet or vial/smackpack) were < 3 gallons.

From now on, as best-practice for five gallon batches, if I'm using liquid I'll be making a starter; if I use dry yeast I will be activating two packs to get an aggressive start and hopefully then I should hit a proper FG.

Or use smack packs. As long as you're not making a huge beer with a high OG a smack pack should be starter enough.

I do believe smack packs will work but even with average gravity beers its recommended to make a starter. Check out mrmalty.com for proper pitching rates. Yes liquid yeast without a starter will work but the beer will be "better" if you pitch the proper amount.

Back