Pitching temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
I know there's probably a lot of info on here about this, but I want some opinions on my specific problem...

So I'm brewing a APA with WLP001 and chilled it as cool as my ground water in California will allow, about 76 F. I pitched my yeast and packed ice around the carboy in my fridge and set it to cool to 67 F. In about 3 hours it was down to about 68 F.

I come home later that night about 9 hours after pitching and see the temp is at 59 F and no activity(I'm using a dual stage controller with a thermowell) I quick put my fermwrap on and left the door open to hopefully warm it up, but I'm wondering what I'll need to do to get this thing going. Do I need to rouse the yeast once I warm it up to 67 F? Should I just leave it alone? Will the temp fluctuations hurt the beer and what may the effects be?

Any advice or experience will be much appreciated! Cheers!

I would just raise the temperature and leave it alone, the yeast should get started all on their own. I don't think the low temp at the beginning will have much effect. Once it gets started, I would hold it at 67F for about 2 weeks. Its during active fermentation that the temp fluctuations could be detrimental.

Latest posts

Back