Pitching rate for lager with dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
I am planning my first lager using dry yeast (w34/70), and I'm wondering how much yeast to use. I usually use the pitching rate calculator at Brewer's friend. The thing is that they calculate with a yeast cell density/gram that is about half of that of Mr Malty. In my case (og 1.050, volume around 3 gallon), going by Brewer's friend I should be using two packs of yeast, whereas Mr Maltys recommendation is one pack. My plan is to pitch the yeast at, or at least close to, the fermentation temperature, rather than pitching at a higher temp and then let the fermentation start before ramping the temp down.

I am biased to Brewers Friend, have used their recommendations for awhile with great results...I prefer more yeast when brewing lagers.

2 packs. if you skimp on yeast with a lager it won't taste like a lager.

I've brewed many lagers, and I pitch around 50. 2 packs work great for 5 gallons. Rehydrate, but don't do a starter for dry. I noticed you're doing 3 gallons, though, so 1 pack should work.

Latest posts

Back