pitching orval in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdb

Reaction score
I have a couple cornies from a 10g brew day that have finished fermenting in primary with a trappist Ale/ Ardennes blend, OG 1.070 FG 1.009, but still tasted overly sweet to me. I also have a stir plate going with a 1L starter made from the dregs of 2 Orvals and I'm thinking that the Brett might go after some of the sugars the primary left and make it a bit better balanced.
I have no experience brewing with Brett so I have a couple questions...
Is my assumption that brett will be able to metabolize sugars that the sacc left behind more or less correct?
I started to force carb the beer- do I need to let it go flat (release CO2 in solution) before pitching the Orval yeast?
can I secondary in a closed cornie keg or should I move it to a carboy with an airlock?
I'm assuming I will need to set this aside for a while...how long should I let it sleep before bothering to sample?

Brett will eat some of the remaining sugars.

Brett will add it's own flavors to the beer.

Brett will take a while to start working and will continue to work for about 18 months.

You are probably best to relieve the pressure. In general, yeast does not like high pressure.

Since you are kegging, you can drink it any time. Hope you have a spare tap, because you will probably want to see how this changes over time, so you might have it hooked up for a long time.

I would suggest leaving it at least 3 months before putting it on tap. And at that time, the Brett will just be starting.

Orval dry hops their beer (Styrian Goldings I think).

Latest posts

Back