pitching in too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello:

My first post here and I think I ruined my batch. I have a 5 gallon batch going right now and have read much about fusel alcohols smelling like bananas. I just checked my primary and it WREAKS of bananas. I was in a hurry to help my brother move and pitched my yeast in at like 90 degrees I estimate. it has been 5 days now and I am thinking about pouring out and starting over right this time. what do you guys think?

Don't dump it yet. You'll get lots of smells from the airlock during fermentation, and it's not always indicative of what the final beer will taste like. You already know what not to do next time as far as pitching temp is concerned, so regardless of what happens to this batch you know how to make the next one better. Let this one ride and see what happens. What kind of yeast did you use? What temp has it been fermenting at?

Get another fermenter and let this one fully ferment before deciding that it is no good.

If it stayed as 90 too long it could be a goner. If not it might end up well.

I have had a couple that didn't even taste good at bottling time but after bottle conditioning they were pretty good.

Well, I am using wyeast 1056 and it was hot when I pitched it. I tried to chill my wort using a bath with ice cubes and it was down to like 120 degrees F when I poured it into the other 2 gallons of cold water in my primary. Then it sat in my pantry which is like 75 degrees F until a day later when I smartened up and put it in my garage at 68 degrees F. Getting another primary is a genius idea and I will pick one tomorrow when I get supplies to brew a blonde, thanks for the input. It really does smell horrible.

Yikes. I like 1056, but it has its limits... Do you have a cooler place to keep your fermenter? For your next batch, if at all possible, get the wort down to 64 (or within a couple degrees on either side) and ferment in the 65-68 range. Fermentation will usually be warmer than the ambient temp, so a 68 degree room won't be the best bet, but you can look into using a swamp cooler (big tub of water with the fermenter sitting in it, use ice or frozen water bottles to regulate temp) or getting a temp controller and fridge/freezer to help regulate your temperatures in the ideal range for the yeast.

For 1056/001, starting the fermentation below 70 is important. When fermentation kicks off at 70 or above, fusels are a common issue (and one that I've encountered personally). After things get going, it's a pretty forgiving yeast. I'd still let this one finish before you pass final judgement though. No doubt you could make a better beer on the next batch, but you don't want to judge this one prematurely.

For future reference, don't be so quick to pitch. I've sometimes waited until the next morning to pitch due to tweaking my process and the beer being 90F going into the fermenter. Also as stated, don't judge the beer by the smell alone. I did a cream ale this last summer with 05 and it literally wreaked of estery-Belgian like yeast even though I pitched and maintained low 60s... Thought something was def wrong. It turned out to be fine and actually one of the best beers I've ever brewed.

So, patience is a virtue, and don't judge a fermenting beer by is aroma.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It can take a while, but I chill my wort down to around 75F. With the kettle in the sink, fill the empty space around it to the top with ice. Then top that off with cold tap water. It'll stay a bit colder. I keep a couple gallons of spring water in the fridge a day or two before brew day to get it good & cold. After straining the chilled 75F wort into the fermenter, which aerates it as well, I top off to recipe volume with the cold water. This gets the wort down to 64-65F. I then stir briskly with my sanitized plastic paddle to mix it well before OG sample & pitch.

Best advice I was ever given with regard to being patient with homebrewing was to brew more beer. Seriously. Stop fretting about this one and get another one on deck.

Best advice I was ever given with regard to being patient with homebrewing was to brew more beer. Seriously. Stop fretting about this one and get another one on deck.
Applies even moreso to mead making.....hence, I have several fermentors of varying sizes and batches in different stages....my Mrs isn't happy, but, hey, we have plenty of space, so I keep 'em out of sight....she likes the end results, just doesn't wanna see buckets and carboys and gallon jugs percolating - good thing we have a
big basement, and she doesn't go down there...heh

Back