Pitching a single vial of 3068 into two batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_rogers

Reaction score
Alright so I'm looking to purchase a single vial of 3068 hef yeast and grow it so that I can pitch it into a batch of apfelwein and a batch of hef on the same brew day.

My question is, what kind of yeast culture am i going to need? Is this starter going to be over a gallon?

also the Apfelwein should have an OG of 1.085 (i think) and the Hef will have an OG of 1.058.

My largest starter container is a half gallon mason jar. Will i need something bigger or could i grow it up to that size then split it and grow more?

Thanks!

Since you can step up to increase the size of starters you should be fine spliting them into multiple starters and step them up as well. Have you checked mrmalty on this yet to see the size of starter you'll need?

I have not checked mrmalty yet, but i think i'm going to go about this in another way since I only have 2 -5 gallon carboys. I'm going to get a 6.5 gallon bucket and make the Hef then i'm going to wash the yeast and pitch some of the washed yeast into the 6.5 again with the apfelwein.
Thanks for the response Gauvinej!

Latest posts

Back