Pitching a 1080 ipa on a 1040 cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibiore

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on pitching a 1080 beer on a 1040 yeast cake after racking the beer off it after a week of two. I have three options of doing if. 1 pitching directly onto the cake, 2 pouring the whole cake into a fresh fermenter onto the 1080 wort, 3 pitching maybe a cup or two with a measuring cup, both are IPAs, is there a general consensus as to what's best?

the whole cake is too much and considered overpitching. I would scoop a couple of cups out and dump into your 1.080 IPA. You could use mr. malty pitching rate calculator and under the slurry tab get a rough idea of the proper mL's need for slurry repitching.

In this awesome thread (you really should read it), Bob says there is roughly 1 billion cells in 1 ml harvested slurry, so for your 1.080 IPA, you'd need about 288 billion cells which you'd get in about 288 ml of slurry, which is about 10 oz or about 1.25 cups. I wouldn't worry too much about getting that exactly as these are all approximations of approximations :)

I routinely plan brew days so i'm able to rack a beer off a cake, scoop about 2 cups worth of slurry and pitch into a clean fermenter full of fresh new wort. Works everytime. 2 cups has been my go to no matter the gravity and has always started fast and finished well.

2 cups seems like a good number to account for any extra trub, I'll research it more, I assume oxygenating and such is still required, but what about yeast nutrient? Is it needed with a fresh slurry?

Yeah do everything as you would if you were pitching yeast right out of the pack. Just use a clean sanitized measuring cup to get the slurry

Back