Pitches yeast too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tohip4tv

Reaction score
Today was a real scortcher, made to 5gal batches of Coopers Stout and Wilkinsons Pilsner.

Problem is that in both cases I pitched the yeast at around 28.5 deg celcius. Am I screwed? Any help beer gurus

that hot won't kill the yeast, but you'll want to get those about 10C colder asap. while it won't kill it, that hot will produce an undesirable level of esters and potentially fusels if you continue to ferment there. you're better off waiting until you get to your ferment temp (preferably below since fermentation increases internal temp) before pitching even if it requires waiting overnight (proper sanitation will keep it safe)

I'm currently also in the UK 'heatwave' at a blistering 26-28C most of the day and night, sometimes rising to 30C by midday. I'm brewing saisons.

On the subject of fusel alcohol/esters etc, I've not really encountered them yet despite pitching a S-04 at about 30C the other month and fermenting ales at 20-21C earlier in the year. Not trying much 'lager' though!

Thanks guys, problem is with this heat I'm strugling to get it below 26.5 in this heat.

do a search for 'swamp cooler'. i'm going through a heat wave at the moment as well and been able to keep it below 22C using one

My first brew was a coopers stout in march this year. I'm in England too and currently sitting in front of a fan with a pint of coopers Mexican cerveza :)

I pitched the yeast as suggested in the instructions and 1 day later, noting having noticed any action in the fv, I mentioned this to a commercial brewer friend of mine. He said fermentation would probably take 4 days and gave me temps to aim for. He lent me a couple of brewmaster heaters. I monitored the temp for the next day or two and it got to about 28oC I think. By the time I got home from work (my friend said mid morning after i told him the temp that I should switch off the heater) I think the damage was done. The result was a bit fruity but not bad for a first attempt (I am involved with a beer distribution co and have tasted much worse from brewers).

I brewer a wilko pilsner about 8 wks ago. All gone now (took it to Silverstone for the GP weekend), and I went down well. Can't remember the temps on that one but I have records of all this type of thing

Wow stout is really fermenting hard, the beer is coming out the airlock.damm, I hope the beers come through without top much off flavours. How soon soon did I try the pilsner.

I'm currently also in the UK 'heatwave' at a blistering 26-28C most of the day and night, sometimes rising to 30C by midday. I'm brewing saisons.

On the subject of fusel alcohol/esters etc, I've not really encountered them yet despite pitching a S-04 at about 30C the other month and fermenting ales at 20-21C earlier in the year. Not trying much 'lager' though!

Boohoo! 30 °C is not hot mate! Try 38 and >65% humidity!! Not sure when I'll be brewing next but I guess I'll have to wait out the nice US Northeast heat wave... :mug:

Boohoo! 30 °C is not hot mate! Try 38 and >65% humidity!! Not sure when I'll be brewing next but I guess I'll have to wait out the nice US Northeast heat wave... :mug:

Yeah good luck with that! Dry English sarcasm doesn't come through as well without the accent but my enclosing commas aim to highlight how unimpressed I am with the general theme of complaining about our current nondescript 'heatwave'. I suffered living in Wyoming for some time and it happily reached the mid 30's most of the summer. My lawn isn't even dead.

Ok so shall I just abort this and bin 10 gal of beer, or is there a chance.that the off flavours won't ruin the beers??

See it through, but in the future, find a way to get that beer down to 20° C or below as quickly as possible after pitching, or (ideally) before pitching.

No, don't abort, carry on with it and a case study UN fermentation temperatures. What you've done is not optimal but it'll be drinkable

So took a hydro reading, it currently at 1005, the condensation on the lid.has stoped and almost no bubbles on the beer, has fermentation.completed in three days or has fermt stopped??

if your at 1.005 it could very well be done. if hydro reading is the same after 3-4 days it's complete or stuck. but with a SG that low, i'd quess it's done.

It's done. That's what happens when you ferment too hot. Your yeast just went to town on your beer, and furiously fermented it, kicking off all sorts of esters and fusel alcohols. Did you taste your gravity sample? How did it taste?

Fermentation is finished, but that doesn't mean the yeast are done working. I'd leave it for at least 3 more days to give the yeast a chance to clean up byproducts like acetaldehyde and diacetyl, but the damage is likely already done. I doubt this beer will be drinkable, but if nothing else, it will hopefully have been a good learning experience for you.

Cheers kombat, had a taste from my hydro reading, not too bad, hopefully it will be drinkable. fingers crossed.

My first coopers stout went exactly the same way. Tasted a bit fruity, but it wasn't a complete disaster and was more than drinkable. I primed my first one with granulated sugar. It fermented in 3 days, exactly like yours

I haven't used the brewmaster heater since. I did build a box from 20mm celotex though. It keeps the fv within a degree or three of the temp it went in at.

Since then I've primed with a few different things but I'm going to try the coopers stout again using a German malt drink (karamalz) to prime it

Yeah nice, will have to look into having a better a better way to control temps.

It would be better to leave it sit for a week or two more, rather than bottle it just because you reached final gravity.Fermenting at higher temps is probably worse than pitching at high temps then reducing to ferment temps Although that can stress yeast also,part of the reason most pitch more towards ferment temps..Remember also yeast can generate up to 10 degrees higher temps during activity. As suggested a swamp cooler is pretty easy to maintain,I brewed a lager that way and was one of my best beers.

Coopers yeast is more known to tolerate higher ferment temps opposed to most the other dry yeast. Its a reason I used it about this time of year(basement) myself a few yrs ago. However I didnt really care for the yeast profile it had,at least with few styles I used it for which may have not been appropriate anyway. Im shure it does well in certain styles. I havent really played around with it enough to know but my experience with it gave mediocre results,it did ferment like a beast though and fast. It was quick and brutal. It blew off like 16-20 oz. Had a nice mess.

How is the beer? I've done some bad things temperature wise recently and though I hear about all these faults which can be introduced, I don't think I've considered anything undrinkable yet. Some have been better than others and good practice is good practice, but I don't think I'll ever be writing and meaning something like..

"S00-15 is a little tart for my tastes, unless temperature is kept below 72F for the first four days of fermentation and then allowed to gradually rise to no greater than 74F, at this point, there is a sweet spot where the yeast allows a gap which can be filled exceptionally well with new world hops, focus on tropical notes or else you might was well dump it. Of course in side by side comparison, batches kept low for longer than four days, or allowed to rise too soon, took on grainy characteristics, which to my palette was reminiscent of the pre reconstitution top fermented ales first described by pliny the elder."

How is the beer? I've done some bad things temperature wise recently and though I hear about all these faults which can be introduced, I don't think I've considered anything undrinkable yet. Some have been better than others and good practice is good practice, but I don't think I'll ever be writing and meaning something like..

"S00-15 is a little tart for my tastes, unless temperature is kept below 72F for the first four days of fermentation and then allowed to gradually rise to no greater than 74F, at this point, there is a sweet spot where the yeast allows a gap which can be filled exceptionally well with new world hops, focus on tropical notes or else you might was well dump it. Of course in side by side comparison, batches kept low for longer than four days, or allowed to rise too soon, took on grainy characteristics, which to my palette was reminiscent of the pre reconstitution top fermented ales first described by pliny the elder."

To all who are NOT doing temperature control....

PLEASE go to the website for your yeast and find the ideal temperature for that strain - then KEEP it there !!! Not the ambient temperature of your house, room, apartment - this is the wort temperature !!

this will be the single best thing you do for your beer, honestly!

:mug:

Back