Pitched lager yeast warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrock430

Reaction score
I brewed up a maibock with maple sap last night, 1.070, oxygenated, pitched a slurry of w-34/70.

Thought I set the fermentation temp at 47, but really put it at 57. It's been nine hours since, moved the temp down to 47, I'd say there's about 12 hrs before the lag phase is over.

What will the effect from the warmer pitching temp be?

A higher amount of growth and yeast reproduction. Most of the lager brewing i've done usually involves 24 hours of rapid growth around 65f before gradually dropping down the temperature. I prefer to call this the adaptation phase rather than the lag phase, as during this time the yeast is rapidly adapting to the oxygen and nutrient rich wort and rapidly reproducing. It's only in the absence of oxygen that they adapt again and begin what I consider true fermentation by producing alcohol and CO2.

If their environment is a little warmer during the adaptation phase, it just encourages them to grow faster. It's only once they start fermentation that you need to lower the wort down to lagering temperature.

Latest posts

Back