Pitched dry yeast - Have a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow6i

Reaction score
Hey all.

Last sunday I brewed up my second batch of beer. Everything seemed alright save for the fact that it seemed like i had less wort after brewing than I did the first time around.

After talking to the guy at my LHBS (Local Home Brew Store?) about what I wanted to change with the recipe I was going off of, he suggested a change slight change to the mail grains, and an extra lb of briess DME. Giving a grand total of 6 lbs briess DME rather than 3lb DME and 2.2lb LME.

He also suggested using a dry yeast (US-05 i believe) instead of an an already hydrated type.

After the boil, I pitched the yeast dry directly into my carboy. The fermentation didnt take off at first. It took about a day to start seeing any activity. Then it took off like crazy. (Or at least what I would consider crazy.) Not violent, but very very active relative to my first brew.

I also switched to a blow off tube style air lock rather than an air lock, and herein lies my question.

Im getting alot of the foam (not sure what the actual name of this is) in the carboy. Its up to the neck, and its starting to be pushed out of the blowoff tube into my water tub. The question I have is should I be worried about the blow off tube getting plugged up and the pressure popping the plug out of the carboy? Ive seen videos of it happening and am really not looking forward to the mess. Im on day 4 of fermentation, and it seems to be slowing down, but im still a little concerned about it. What do you all think? Any suggestions? Need any further information?

Thanks!

2011-11-24110156.jpg

Your perfectly fine. The blow off tube keeps the co2 from building up. The airlock only is what gets clogged on people and explodes off at times. Also its general best to rehydrate your yeast prior to pitching the dried stuff. It will increase number of yeast that live through the pitching process.

Thank you for the replys. I took a gravity reading last night 5 days in: 1.022. Hoping to bottle probably next weekend. After the taste last night, Ive got some high hopes!

I pitched dry because my packet didnt say anything about rehydrating. I think next time around I WILL rehydrate as it didnt seem like the fermentation took off like I was expecting.

Take care.

It blew up on me once, clogged up the airlock and blew the lid off. Im happy to say that you can no longer see a giant stain on the carpet now.

Latest posts

Back