Pitched Blue Black & Blueberry Ale Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
Had this beer in the U.S this past weekend (I am from Canada) on tap and abosultely loved it. Looking to make a clone and want peoples opinion about the amounts and yeast. Heres the link to the beer:
https://empyreanbrewingco.com/beers/pitched-blue-black-and-blueberry-ale/?age-verified=3cfd139077

16 IBUs
Malts: 2-Row, Munich, Caramel 60, Honey Malt, Carafa III, Flaked Barley
Hops: Galena
Extras: Natural Blueberry Juice
Flavor Category: Malty

Heres where I am at so far for a 5gal:
OG: 1.057
8lbs 2 row
1lb munich malt
.5lb carafa III
.5lb crystal 60
.5lb honey malt
.5lb flaked barley

.40oz galena @60mins (16.4 IBU)

S-04 or WLP002 English yeast

After fermentation rack onto 2L of pure natural blueberry juice (making the post boil volume less to account for the added liquid)

Any thoughts?

Heres a picture for reference
pitched-blue-black-blueberry-ale-by-empyrean-brewing-co.jpeg

Had this beer in the U.S this past weekend (I am from Canada) on tap and abosultely loved it. Looking to make a clone and want peoples opinion about the amounts and yeast. Heres the link to the beer:
https://empyreanbrewingco.com/beers/pitched-blue-black-and-blueberry-ale/?age-verified=3cfd139077

16 IBUs
Malts: 2-Row, Munich, Caramel 60, Honey Malt, Carafa III, Flaked Barley
Hops: Galena
Extras: Natural Blueberry Juice
Flavor Category: Malty

Heres where I am at so far for a 5gal:
OG: 1.057
8lbs 2 row
1lb munich malt
.5lb carafa III
.5lb crystal 60
.5lb honey malt
.5lb flaked barley

.40oz galena @60mins (16.4 IBU)

S-04 or WLP002 English yeast

After fermentation rack onto 2L of pure natural blueberry juice (making the post boil volume less to account for the added liquid)

Any thoughts?
How did this come out?

How did this come out?
The malt bill was perfect but I think I used like 3L of blueberry juice and there will little to no blueberry flavor. Next time I am gonna just gonna use a lot of lbs of frozen blueberries. Costco sell 4lb bags and ill probably use 2

I used about a pound and a half of fresh then frozen local blueberries in the height of the season in a 2.25G batch and got almost zero blueberry flavor. Was thinking I’d try blueberry juice next time but maybe not based on your experience. Maybe a combination of the two?

I forgot to mention that I twitter messaged the brewery and they said they use 1056 yeast and fresh blueberry juice. The juice I bought was damn expensive. I did 2L in secondary and after getting no flavor I dumped another liter into the keg with still no flavor and this was 100% pure juice. So next time like I said lots of frozen blueberries. Probably 2 bags of these 2kg for 8.8lbs in 5gal batch. BYO fruit edition suggests 2lbs per gallon

Attachments

• imageService.jpeg
    imageService.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back