pitched a quart of slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
Ok. Well here goes nothing. I just pitched an entire quart of unwashed slurry, hopefully there enough yeast in there to do the job!

Seemed like a lot of break material, but after i racked the beer off yesterday i swirled everything up nice and good and kept a quart of it for today.

Wish me luck!

It will probably go like crazy.

My general rule of thumb is to use about a quarter of the cake for a similar beer, which is generally a little less than a pint. Never had a problem if used within a couple of weeks.

Is it good and fresh? My experience with pitching with unwashed slurry is that it's really good when its fresh. The only time I ever made a beer that was close to undrinkable was when I repitched with yeast that was in the fridge for a couple of months after it had already fermented two batches. it had weird yeasty taste and it was just not good. What it this beer, the last one, and what yeast?

The beer was brewed less than a month ago and i kegged it this weekend, and thats when i grabbed the slurry as well, been in the fridge since.

A quart of slurry is about 1 Trillion cells. You should hit final gravity in no time.

Using a microscope I've found the viability by date and slurry estimator to be way off. See my blog for that story. I'll never do that again.

i checked mrmalty.com before i grabbed the quart. it's a cool tool, but i have no idea how much is solids and so forth, so it's really a crap shoot for me. I had considered just racking onto the cake, but decided on taking just a quart out and pitching that as an alternative. so 1 trillion cells versus 1.2 gigacells.... i guess it is what it is. i attached a blow off tube for this, expecting it to take off pretty rapidly.

5 hours after pitch and no activity at all, maybe it wasnt such a gross pitch afterall. I guess we will see what it looks like in the morning.

Checked it this morning and it has about and inch or two of krausen. Fermenting at 65-66 it looked like.

Little over 24 hours

ForumRunner_20130918_225229.jpg

Ferm chamber is struggling with this one, so i bumped the thermostat down a couple degrees, looks like its crept up to 67, trying to keep it from hitting 68.

Back