Pitch yeast on year old sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am bottling a Tart of Darkness clone and was just wondering if I should pitch some clean WLP 001 or wine yeast for carbonation?

Or will the Brett eat the priming sugar and make enough CO2.

The beer has been sitting for a year.

Thanks

common practice is to pitch new yeast for bottling in this case. can't say as i've done it; just what i've read how the experts do it

for bottling, use cheaper plain dry yeast. us-o5 is good in most cases. in the case of sours, if you plan to let it sit for a while and carb ( at least a month ) using champagne yeast is ok

Use anything you have on hand. A small bit of slurry, half a pack of wine//champagne yeast, or take some from a fresh starter.

No need to add expense, but you will need more yeast. The brett will probably do it, but it may take 6 months as the population of brett is really small.

All simple sugars are gone, and a lot of the complex ones too, so no fear of bottle bombs from adding almost any yeast.

Latest posts

Back