Pitch rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangj

Reaction score
How critical is it to pitch enuff yeast when using Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus?

Example: Can I pitch one smack pack of Brett L into a 10gal batch?

Unless you're doing a 100% brett beer (no primary yeast), 1 pack will be more than enough. In fact, many people feel that under pitching brett gives more or the esters that give the classic funk.

Lacto might be a bit more important to pitch a healthy dose, as it works better in the beginning stages of fermentation. I've read many sources that lacobacillus does not do much once the wort beer gets to around 3% ABV.

As far as Pedio, my guess is that underpitching would be OK here too.

I think it depends (at least for lacto) on how much sourness you want. I made a few sours over the years and just pitched the pack of Wyeast and the sourness level was ok, but faded after about 4 months. I recently made a sour and made a starter with the lacto; it is still sitting on the bugs so I can't comment on how sour it is, but the starter definitely had a sour funk to it. I would think the same would go for Pedio, but haven't tried it yet.

Back