Pineapple Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leapsandbounds

Reaction score
So my wife wants me to make a beer with pineapple and this is what I’ve come up with. Any thoughts on the potential outcome?

5 gallons batch volume
3 gallons boil volume
20 minute boil (I have to cut my brew time due to prior obligations)

6lb Golden LME
1lb 40L crystal steeped until 170 degrees F.

IBU: approximately 38
1 oz Simcoe 20min
1 oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min

1 quart frozen pineapple juice added at flameout.

Yeast: US-05

The calculated OG is likely off considering I don’t know how to account for the pineapple in the Brewer’s Friend app.

I appreciate any input!

So my wife wants me to make a beer with pineapple and this is what I’ve come up with. Any thoughts on the potential outcome?

5 gallons batch volume
3 gallons boil volume
20 minute boil (I have to cut my brew time due to prior obligations)

6lb Golden LME
1lb 40L crystal steeped until 170 degrees F.

IBU: approximately 38
1 oz Simcoe 20min
1 oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min

1 quart frozen pineapple juice added at flameout.

Yeast: US-05

The calculated OG is likely off considering I don’t know how to account for the pineapple in the Brewer’s Friend app.

I appreciate any input!
Just tell her you have put pineapple juice in and instead put tonnes of Galaxy hops in while actively fermenting. And m maybe use a different yeast like juice or Conan or London iii.
Sometimes one has to lie to ones wife for their own good.

Just tell her you have put pineapple juice in and instead put tonnes of Galaxy hops in while actively fermenting. And m maybe use a different yeast like juice or Conan or London iii.
Sometimes one has to lie to ones wife for their own good.
Actually, my wife would love it if I could produce a pineapple flavor without adding juice (lower calories). Wish I had a local store to get the Imperial Juice though. Seems like a good yeast for my desired outcome.

Don't add pineapple juice, especially at flame out. If you keg you can add it after a cold crash otherwise it will largely ferment out and the beer will be dry, possibly sour and not taste much of pineapple. If you really want to use pineapple then use pineapple extract, like theolive nation or silvercloud estates stuff. I would leave it out personally.

Use DME, generally the quality is better, get as light a colour as you can. Some brand make extra light version. I would also use a lb of wheat extract. Wheat is great with tropical flavours.

Half the crystal, you don't need a pound especially with 38 IBU's.

Try Denali hops, they supposedly taste very pineapplely. I have never used them but I the description sounds like its what your after. After all the hops after flameout, cool to 160F then add them, wrap in a blanket and keep it there for 20 mins+. The finish cooling and transfer to the fermenter. Use a alpha acid extract if you cant do a 60 min boil, you can then reduce you boil time to 10mins, then do your stand.

use lots more hops, at least another oz, ideally double. big hop stands work really well in APA's. Don't feel the need to dry hop, that option is always there

Ive added half a gallon of pineapple to a cider and it came trough well. Idd go galaxy and deliah for big pine apple hits.

Don't add pineapple juice, especially at flame out. If you keg you can add it after a cold crash otherwise it will largely ferment out and the beer will be dry, possibly sour and not taste much of pineapple. If you really want to use pineapple then use pineapple extract, like theolive nation or silvercloud estates stuff. I would leave it out personally.

Use DME, generally the quality is better, get as light a colour as you can. Some brand make extra light version. I would also use a lb of wheat extract. Wheat is great with tropical flavours.

Half the crystal, you don't need a pound especially with 38 IBU's.

Try Denali hops, they supposedly taste very pineapplely. I have never used them but I the description sounds like its what your after. After all the hops after flameout, cool to 160F then add them, wrap in a blanket and keep it there for 20 mins+. The finish cooling and transfer to the fermenter. Use a alpha acid extract if you cant do a 60 min boil, you can then reduce you boil time to 10mins, then do your stand.

use lots more hops, at least another oz, ideally double. big hop stands work really well in APA's. Don't feel the need to dry hop, that option is always there

I typically prefer DME but currently have 6 lbs of LME on hand that I need to use (don’t want it to age). I like the idea of a wheat addition. I’m thinking I need to place an order online for more hops (Denali and Galaxy) and yeast (imperial juice) to really make this recipe work. Should I use Denali for bittering and a mix of Denali and galaxy for flavor/aroma? I could do a hop stand before chilling (never done one but am familiar with the concept).

How about this:

6 lbs LME golden light
1 lb DME wheat
.5 lb Crystal 40 steeped.

1 qt Pineapple Juice flame out (possibly extract at bottling. I’m torn which way to go).

Hops: Approx 41 IBU.

20 min Denali 1.5 Oz
5 min Galaxy 1 oz
Whirlpool 160 degrees for 20 min Denali 1.5 oz.

Yeast: Imperial Juice.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't use Denali for bittering, its a waste. Buy a good bittering hop like warrior and store it in the freezer. The batch I have is 19%AA you need such a little amount you really won't taste it above the other hops, if you increase the boil to 30min you'll definitely get no flavor.

Kettle additions are not really worth it imo except those for bittering. I only do hopstands now for hoppy beers.

Put all your denali and galaxy in the hopstand, at least 3 oz worth.

El Dorado/Denali hops paired with Wlp644 or whatever the Imperial yeast version is, Citrus I think, will give you straight pineapple juice without adding any actual juice. No joke it will taste almost exactly like pineapple juice.

El Dorado/Denali hops paired with Wlp644 or whatever the Imperial yeast version is, Citrus I think, will give you straight pineapple juice without adding any actual juice. No joke it will taste almost exactly like pineapple juice.

Where should I be using those hops in the boil? Early, late, flameout, or dryhop?

In the last 5 minute of the boil and after flame out and DH. If you want to just do one Dry Hop, do it with say .04 left to go in fermentation.

Trillium in Boston makes a beer called El Dorado Cutting tiles. You can check out the grain bill on their site. It’s Columbus in the boil and just El Dorado for Whirlpool and 2 DH additions . It also uses raw wildflower honey to boost the gravity. It was the most insane juice forward beer I’ve ever had and I’ve had lots of this style. Tasted like fresh pineapples. I’ve attempted to replicate it and come very close. Not sure how much the honey has to do with it but I think the yeast/honey/hops interaction does something. I’ve done it once with 007 and just Columbus/El Dorado and done it a second time with some Denali and WLp644. The 644 really amps up the tropical notes and you can ferment it pretty warm.

A local brewpub does a pineapple pale regularly. The brewer uses a healthy amount of pineapple juice (I think he uses about 50 pineapples for 300L) and gets some sweetness and body back with lactose. I think he mainly uses Amarillo. It sells faster than he can brew it.

Actually, my wife would love it if I could produce a pineapple flavor without adding juice (lower calories). Wish I had a local store to get the Imperial Juice though. Seems like a good yeast for my desired outcome.
It's
So many great ideas! If I can produce pineapple flavor sans juice I’d like to try. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
You definitely want to do some active ferment dry hop to get the juice flavour.

It's

Do you by chance have a link to an article that describes the process?
It's

As far as I can tell I’d need to rack to a secondary after active fermentation dry hopping? I usually leave the beer in my primary for 3 weeks but if I did that wouldn’t I get a grassy flavor? Or should I bag the hops and just remove them after 3-4 days? Thanks for your help.

Do you by chance have a link to an article that describes the process?

As far as I can tell I’d need to rack to a secondary after active fermentation dry hopping? I usually leave the beer in my primary for 3 weeks but if I did that wouldn’t I get a grassy flavor? Or should I bag the hops and just remove them after 3-4 days? Thanks for your help.
for some reason I don't find that an extended dry hop is such an issue if it's been active. I am also quite sensitive to dry hop vegetal flavours and this is why I largely stopped keg dry hop additions.

as far as proscess just Chuck in a dose at day 2 and 4 for maximum juiceness.
also a big charge for steep once temp is down to around 170

I add pineapple puree to the fermenter after about four days.
^ Second this.
Every summer I make what I call a pineapple Kolsch (60% 2 row, 40% wheat) and add about a quart and a half of unopened pineapple juice to the fermenter after high krausen. Pineapple really shines through.

So I’ve Decided to try a mixed approach. I’ll only using bittering hops during the boil with a 3oz Denali hop stand (20 min). I’ll add 1 qt pineapple juice to primary after fermentation. I really wanna try active dry hopping so I might do that as well (still on the fence).

Hopefully the weather will improve and I can brew next week. I’ll update as the beer progresses. Thanks for all the help everyone.

I will also endorse Denali for pineapple. I just racked an IPA with a large Denali hopstand to serving keg and WOW, pineapple aroma bomb.

Latest posts

Back