Pineapple ginger mead, acid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvaden

Reaction score
I made a pineapple ginger mead with a whole pineapple and a significant amount of ginger (I don't have my notes with me for precise measurements) and used five pounds of honey for a 4.5 gallon batch. The yeast was icv-d47.

It took a couple months to no longer have noticeable diacetyl. It is a bit dry and acidic for my taste right now, so I was wondering if anyone has any input on the matter.

I was thinking that I could buy some malolactic bacteria or an acid blend. Does anyone have experience with either?

Cheers

MLF only works on malic acid so if it's not malic there's no point.

You'd need to use as sympathetic acid and not a mix of the 3 usual suspects. In any case if it's already a bit acidic why would you add more ?

I suspect you'll be best placed masking it i.e. back sweetening. You'd have to know the numbers as any space left on the yeast tolerance (14% for D47) and stabilise it so it doesn't start to referment. Add a little of the sweetener at a time with a good but gentle stir then taste. Until it's sweet enough to your taste.......

Sounds like what I was planning. I am going to rack onto an extra pound of honey and let it settle for a month or two then taste it.

Thanks for the input.

Back sweetening is definitely your best bet. I made a tropical mead with pineapple oranges and coconut and the dryness combined with the acid made it almost undrinkable. Just be careful when you add the honey to not add too much. Sometimes the sweetness comes through more when you let it sit for a little. I would suggest sweetening just below where you would like it, give it a few weeks then test it again.

I sweetened mine too much. It seemed fine when I was adding it but after a few weeks it ended up being too sweet. It definitely wasn't too acidic though...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back