Pilsner yeast for a bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
So I Just brewed a Brooklyn lager clone with white labs pils recently and have a nice pitch of yeast. I also wanted to get a bock going and really don't want I get a huge starter, figuring I'd just pitch this washed yeast.

Any thoughts in how different the character will be?

So I Just brewed a Brooklyn lager clone with white labs pils recently and have a nice pitch of yeast. I also wanted to get a bock going and really don't want I get a huge starter, figuring I'd just pitch this washed yeast.

Any thoughts in how different the character will be?

I wouldn't hesitate. I've used a number of strains for bocks and the yeast plays a minor supporting role at best. Just get your grain bill right--i.e. use enough Munich. This style is not mostly pils with a bit of Munich, but the other way around!

Yep my recipe is about 60/30/10 Munich/ pils/ caramunich so no worries there. I figured that there lager strain was subtle supporting at most.

Cheers and in a few months I'll report back on how it is.

Back