Pilsner vs Pale malt for Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcampo

Reaction score
Im making a Belgian Dark Strong for the first time.
I see that some recipes call for 2-row and Pilsner malt. But I also see that most traditional recipes use just Pilsner for their base.

Any reason why someone would include 2-row along with Pilsner for a Belgian instead of just Pilsner?

2-row is a little cheaper than pilsner at my LHBS, but other than that if your making a dark strong beer, the 2-row vs pilsner malt flavor difference would probably be masked and color differences wont matter either. I have seen some people say some maltsters (if thats even the right term) call 2-row pilsener and vice versa. There are plenty that make both a 2-row and and pilsner malts. If you want next time our at your LHBS taste them side by side. I always eat a few grains while I am at the shop. If you prefer one over the other go for it. In the end I don't think it will matter, but thats just my opinion.

:beard:

Back