Pilsner stiil fermenting after 3 weeks!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcoote

Reaction score
I brewed a pilsner exactly three weeks ago. Fermented for one week at just below 55F then racked to secondary at about 38F. Gravity was 1.011. After two weeks of lagering I've still got bubbles coming up from the bottom! I haven't checked the gravity yet but since it was 1.011 two weeks ago, I can only imagine its fermented way too low by now. But as this is my first lager I'm not sure if this is to be expected or not. Any advice??

Bubbling doesn't really mean anything other than the airlock is bubbling. And airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it's a vent to bleed off EXCESS gas, be it oxygen or EXCESS co2. It shouldn't be looked at as anything else, because an airlock can bubble or stop bubbling for whatever reasons, including a change in temperature (gas expands and contracts depending on ambient temps) changes in barometric pressure (You can have bubbling or suckback in the airlock, depending on pressure on the fermenter) whether or not a truck is going by on the street, the vacuum cleaner is running, or your dog is trying to have sex with the fermenter. Or co2 can get out around the lid of the bucket or the bung...it doesn't matter how the co2 gets out, just that it is.

And bubbles don't coordinate with anything concrete within the fermenter either, "x bubbles/y minute" does NOT TRANSLATE to any numerical change in gravity....if an instruction says do something when bubbles do something per something, throw the instructions out.

The only way to know how your beer is doing is to take a hydrometer reading.

Your hydrometer is a diagnostic tool. You're not sure what your beer is doing, right? Then if that's the case, you taking the reading will tell you what your beer is doing, and therefore either ease your mind, or will till you if there's a problem.

I always make the analogy that taking a gravity reading is like a doctor using a tool like and ekg or an x-ray- you can't always rely on your senses to know what's going on. An airlock may or stop bubbling due to everything from barometric and temp changes, a leak in the bucket, to a truck rolling down your street, so it's NEVER a reliable indicator of what's happening.

But a hydrometer reading is. Until then, all you have is a bubbling airlock.

Sorry, to be clear, it wasn't just the airlock bubbling. Through the clear carboy I could see lots and lots of tiny bubbles rising up from the trub through the beer. That said, of course hydrometer reading is in order, just wondering if this is something to be expected or not.

It's bubbling at 38f??? That ain't right. I don't know why it would be off-gassing either. Bacterial infection?? I'm sure it'll be fine.

I don't think it's a bacterial infection because it smells fantastic! I just don't want it to ferment out to too high an ABV. My target is an American pilsner, the worlds lightest barley wine.

Revvy said:
... or your dog is trying to have sex with the fermenter.

I let my dog get away with a lot, but you gotta draw a line.

Oh yeah. And if you want to know what's going on with your lager, take a hydrometer sample, then look at it, smell it, and take a sip. Then relax, and warm it up for a few days If it smells or tastes like butter.

So I just a hydrometer reading... And it's 1.034... Anyone got an idea how that's even possible..?

Forgot to correct S.G. reading for temperature? Miscalibrated/misread hydrometer? If it was 1.011 two weeks ago, there's no way it can be 1.034 today. You've made a mistake somewhere. One of those readings is wrong.

Make sure you don't have any trub in whatever vessel is holding your sample. I put my hydrometer in a wine theif and use that to draw a sample. If I get too much trub in the sample or don't draw a large enough sample for the hydrometer to float freely, it can throw off my readings

i get the occasional airlock push and bubbles rising to the top during the lagering period, particularly when i'm in the high 30s and above. it seems everything stops and the surface clears if i get down to around 32. i don't have an explanation.

Well have been lagering just below 40F, and there is still some junk floating on top. Maybe I'll let it sit for another week at 33F and see what happens.

jpcoote said:
So I just a hydrometer reading... And it's 1.034... Anyone got an idea how that's even possible..?
Only two possibilities come to mind: (1) the piece of paper inside your hydrometer is moving around so all your readings are unreliable, or (2) you're the suxor at hydrometer readings.

Stick it in some distilled water and see if it's right, then shake it up and repeat. BTW the current BYO (or Zymurgy?) has an article about hydrometer calibration.

Just a thought, can actively fermenting beer throw off the gravity reading? When I took the first measurements, even the small sample in the wine thief was bubbling pretty good. Could that have made the gravity appear artificially low, causing me to start lagering before primary was over?

Latest posts

Back