Pilsner Malt SMaSH Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryB

Reaction score
Playing around with using some of the excess Pilsner malt I have. I am NOT a lager maker so don't go there!

I was think along the lines of a nice lawnmower type ale, low bitterness, medium low ABV...

10 pounds Pilsner Malt
1oz Hallertau 60 minutes
.5 oz Hallertau 5 minutes...

really simple, probably use S-05 yeast because it ferments pretty clean...

Maybe consider a different yeast - perhaps something like WLP565 (Wyeast 3724) to get a little earthiness and a touch of spice into your beer? With S-05, this may wind up a bit bland.

I brewed one of those 2 weeks ago, mine was pilsner malt + saaz, check out the chunks!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7606421#post7606421

I'm fairly sure that's just proteins and it's all normal. I brewed 3 growlers with 34/70 lager yeast and one with US-05 ale which I'm going to bottle tomorrow. Won't know for a few weeks how it tastes though, with such a small amount I won't be sneaking any early samples :(

But for research purposes I thought it would be cool to try both - if the ale growler tastes good then I won't bother doing the lager next time. If the lager growler tasts better then I know that the extra work involved in maintaining lager temps is worth it.

That said, it's winter here and maintaining 12c/54f for tha lager has been a lot easier than keeping the ales stable.

This time of year I am down to ordering dry yeast. 250 mile round trip to the brew store so no quick trips! Liquid yeast may take 2-3 days in 80+ degree temps to get here... plus I am not a fan of Saison funk... Maybe T-58?

Maybe consider a different yeast - perhaps something like WLP565 (Wyeast 3724) to get a little earthiness and a touch of spice into your beer? With S-05, this may wind up a bit bland.

I've not used T-58, but what I've read about it makes it sounds like it would make this interesting. If you have them, some Czech Saaz hops could accent the peppery quality, but still leave it crisp and refreshing.

I can swap hops easy enough... I have been buying 8 oz bags and repackaging them into 1oz for future use. Think I will get some T-58 on order(maybe get 3 packs of it, dry yeast kept in the fridge lasts a year...). Looking for a simple drinking beer for myself and friends who think Michelob Golden is fancy beer... I have converted a few to hoppier ales but it takes time!

Back