Pilsener malt dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I've discovered that there is a particular flavor and aroma in pils malt that I really hate - it's the grainy, tortilla chip, almost stale beer flavor and smell. I've heard Tasty call it "the generic beer flavor." I particularly get it in the head of a beer with a lot of pils malt.

The problem is, I really enjoy a lot of Belgian styles which use prominent amounts of pils. Maybe a quarter of the examples express this flavor that I dislike. But I want to brew to style.

So is there a solution? I like the lightness, the fruity sweetness, and the breadiness. Particular brands of pils malt I should look into? Or entirely different malts I should consider? Maybe reduce the amount of pils by half and sub something else?

I've done belgians with 2 row and pils and I also prefer 2row. My tripels are not as clear with the 2row but I don't care. You need to experiment and see what ya like. Don't worry too much about style, to a point, but worry about your pallet. Brew your belgians with 2row if you like it!

Sent from a cell phone...please excuse grammer and spellin'

There are Belgian Pils and German Pils. I almost always brew with Belgian.

If you don't like Pils, like KyGoogleNerd said, just go with generic 2 row. Supplement it with Biscuit, Victory, or wheat for some bready flavor.

I'm the opposite. I don't like 2 row. It seems flavorless to me.

Many Belgian Brewers also use Belgian Pale Ale malt as their base, which is less grainy and more toasty.

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that 2 row is a little flavorless. I brew most of my beers with Maris Otter, and while I can see this subbing out some of the munich you find in a lot of belgian recipes, I don't think it will contribute that light sweetness from pils malt.

I spoke with Nathan Smith and he suggested that it really might just be a sensitivity I have to DMS even in small quantities. My wife has told me that I have a penchant for identifying "rotten" smells before anyone else - old garbage, compost, diapers, etc. Nate suggested boiling more than 90 minutes, even up to 120.

I've discovered that there is a particular flavor and aroma in pils malt that I really hate - it's the grainy, tortilla chip, almost stale beer flavor and smell. I've heard Tasty call it "the generic beer flavor." I particularly get it in the head of a beer with a lot of pils malt.

The problem is, I really enjoy a lot of Belgian styles which use prominent amounts of pils. Maybe a quarter of the examples express this flavor that I dislike. But I want to brew to style.

So is there a solution? I like the lightness, the fruity sweetness, and the breadiness. Particular brands of pils malt I should look into? Or entirely different malts I should consider? Maybe reduce the amount of pils by half and sub something else?

Try using a German pale malt in place of a pils malt. http://www.weyermann.de/eng/gelbe_Seiten_en.asp?snr=1&idkat=1013&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

I use Weyermann Pale Ale for a lot of my brews and love it. More flavor than basic 2row, but a little darker. If you want a very light colored brew, this might not be the malt to use.

Latest posts

Back